Longtime Freshman Resident Dean Moves from FDO to University Hall

By Laya Anasu and Madeline R. Conway, Crimson Staff Writers

William Cooper ’94, who served as a freshman resident dean for seven years, has joined the Office of Student Life, where he will work with other administrators on Harvard’s more than $1 billion House renewal project.

Cooper fills the role of associate dean of student life, which was left vacant when Kimberly A. Pacelli departed for Bowdoin College over the summer. According to Dean of Student Life Stephen Lassonde, between 100 and 200 applicants sought the position.

In his new role, Cooper said he will assist Lassonde in supporting the Houses, which includes working with the Office of Physical Resources on House renewal plans. He called the project one of his top priorities.

Cooper will also facilitate the Harvard College Safety Committee.

Cooper began working at the OSL last month on freshman move-in day, which he called his “own move-in day.”

“Over the last four weeks...I’ve had a lot to learn, even though I know Harvard well from other contexts,” Cooper said during an interview in his office on Friday.

“In a sense, my move-in day—freshman move-in day—has been almost...a period of discovery for me in the same way that a new student to Harvard would have that period of time, in a sense.”

Lassonde, who joined the OSL in March, praised Cooper for his knowledge of Harvard and the relationships he already has built at the College and University from his previous work.

“[The relationships he has are] really helpful to me, because I’m still new,” said Lassonde, who previously worked at Brown.

Cooper highlighted his past experience at the College serving as a freshman proctor and resident dean. Throughout his time at Harvard, Cooper said he has lived in Thayer, Holworthy, Pennypacker, Wigglesworth, and Apley Court freshman dorms. He also lived, as an undergraduate, in Kirkland House, where current Interim Dean of the College Donald H. Pfister was House master.

“I have experience in the Yard and the Houses as in real life,” Cooper said. “That is to say not just [as] floor plans or spreadsheets or numbers, but as a place where I’ve lived.”

Reflecting on his move from the FDO to University Hall, Cooper said he will assume more administrative responsibilities, in addition to other changes.

“It’s nice to have new challenges,” Cooper said. “It’s one of the things I like about my new role...that there are things I don’t know very well, and that I have to learn about.”

—Staff writer Laya Anasu can be reached at laya.anasu@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @LayaAnasu.

—Staff writer Madeline R. Conway can be reached at mconway@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @MadelineRConway.

College AdministrationFreshmenCollege News