Harvard Today: Sept. 5, 2013

Harvard Today
Harvard Today

Classes may seem a little emptier today than they were on Tuesday due to the absence of those observing Rosh Hashanah. Nevertheless, for many students and professors it will be another day of shopping. So if you weren’t thrilled with the results of Tuesday’s shopping, now’s the time to try something new for that Tu./Th. slot you’re looking to fill. See Flyby’s suggestions below.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

There’s a good chance of rain in the late morning today, but things should clear up by early afternoon. Temperatures will be in the 60s all day.

IN THE D-HALLS

When it comes to HUDS, even vegetarians can eat subs. Vegans will have better luck at dinner with the Cajun Black Bean Cakes.

On the Lunch Menu:
Chicken Parmesan Sub
Cheese and Mushroom Quiche
Tofu Parmesan Sub

On the Dinner Menu:
Korean Pork Stir Fry
Moroccan Roasted Chicken
Cajun Black Bean Cakes with Corn Salsa

ON CAMPUS

Classes to Shop Today:
History of Science 122v: “Science in the Cold War,” 10 a.m., Science Center 252

Science of the Physical Universe 12: “Natural Disasters,” 10 a.m., Science Center D

History 1412: “African Diaspora in the Americas,” 11 a.m., Sever Hall 102

Societies of the World 51: “Politics of Nature,” 1 p.m., William James Hall 105

OCS Events:
Etiquette 101: Manners, Meals, and Mastering Conversation, 4 p.m. – 5 p.m., Lamont Library Forum Room. You can register through Crimson Careers.

Finance: Explore the Diversity of Careers, 4 p.m. – 5 p.m., OCS Conference Room (54 Dunster St.). You can register through Crimson Careers.

Rosh Hashanah Services:
For students who may wish to observe the Jewish new year, a list of service times and locations can be found here.

Sophomore Week Events:
Official Sophomore Welcome Back Event: A second convocation of sorts in which sophomores will hear from Deans Pfister and Dingman and officially receive their “class color” (orange). Refreshments on the steps of Mem Church to follow. 4 p.m. – 5 p.m, Memorial Church

2016 Speaks: A TED-talk style event co-sponsored by Harvard Speaks. 8 p.m. – 10 p.m., Fong Auditorium in Boylston Hall

IN THE SQUARE

The Harvard Shop Grand Opening
The Harvard Shop celebrates the opening of this third store today with a ribbon cutting at 5 p.m. The open house event will feature a performance by The Harvard LowKeys, as well as free coffee from Boston's tricycle-riding barista “The Coffee Trike” and other light refreshments. There will also be free ping-pong balls and special discounts on other items. The new Harvard Shop is located at 65 Mt. Auburn Street.

Free Cookies at Insomnia
Even amidst employee protests, Insomnia Cookies is in full cookie-delivering swing. The store is offering three free chocolate chunk cookies with all online orders. This only works when you order for delivery, not in-store pick-up. Split the cost of an order with your linkmates and enjoy the free extras.

Editor's Note: Flyby is pleased to introduce Harvard Today, a new daily series designed to keep you up to date on food, weather, special events, and other happenings—at Harvard and in the Square.

AcademicsFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.