Crimson Heads West for Opener

By Kelley Guinn McArtor, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s soccer team opens its 2013 season on the opposite coast, traveling west this weekend to battle it out against California and San Francisco. As a competitor in the USF tournament, the Crimson will match up against the Golden Bears on Friday night and the Dons on Sunday afternoon.

While Harvard steps out on the field for its first match this season, California and San Francisco have already competed in a combined seven games.

“They’ve already started their season and have played great games,” co-captain Peyton Johnson said. “This is our first time out, and I think there’s definitely a lot of learning left on the field, but I think what we maybe lack in game experience we make up for in really good preparation.”

The Crimson is coming off of its sixth consecutive winning season after going 9-5-3 in 2012 but since then has lost a handful of seniors from the roster.

“We lost, obviously, six wonderful seniors who really gave so much to the team, not only on but also off the field,” co-captain forward Elizabeth Weisman said. “The freshmen have stepped in to fill the gap we’ve had in the spring without the seniors there. We’re really happy to have them.”

With the nine new freshmen come three forwards, three defenders, two midfielders, and a goalkeeper. While the rookies’ usual positions span across the field, Harvard’s formation is more fluid than set in stone.

“I think one of the goals this season is just versatility for our entire team and also for individuals who want to play different positions,” Johnson said. “I think a lot of [the freshmen] have been able to show that they are very capable of doing that. They are all going to contribute in a variety of different ways.”

This season the Crimson not only plans on exhibiting versatility, but also depth.

“This is probably the deepest our team has been since I’ve been here in that I think in every game we’ll be able to play far more people and maintain a really good level than we have in the past,” Johnson said.

With the majority of Harvard games taking place in New England this past season, participation in the USF tournament in California marks the Crimson’s first West Coast opener in five years.

“I think we’re focusing on just playing our game and keeping our competitive edge throughout the weekend,” Weisman said. “We know they’re going to be hard teams to play, and they’re great teams, but we’ve been working on moving the ball, keeping possession, finishing—just all things that will help us play well this weekend.”

Harvard still has last year’s high goal-scorer on the roster, junior midfielder Meg Casscells-Hamby, who netted six goals for the Crimson her sophomore year. Co-captains Weisman and Johnson tallied five and two goals, respectively, last season. Johnson also chipped in five assists, the team high in 2012.

“Our team as of right now is looking great,” Weisman said. “We did really well in both of our scrimmages the past couple of weeks, and all of the freshmen have integrated with the team really well. We gained pretty much a player in every position in the freshmen class. [They’re] doing extremely well and have taken on the challenge of playing with a Division I team really well. We’re very excited about them.”

While the Harvard squad may not have seen game time so far this season, offseason workouts in the spring and summer have shaped the team into a fierce competitor for its opening weekend.

“Our spring was a very grueling one,” Johnson said. “We had a lot of preparation this spring…and I think we’ve been on the same page since our season ended last fall. All those hours in the spring being together and also this summer, keeping this fall in mind hopefully positions us well for the competitive season.”

Friday night’s game begins nine freshmen players’ Harvard careers; however, it also marks the beginning of the four seniors’ final season.

“I’m really excited for a challenging pre-conference schedule,” Johnson said. “I think we have some good tests tomorrow…we’ll be able to prove ourselves really early on. I’m really excited to play and finish off my career with a group of girls who are all incredibly willing to do whatever it takes for the team. I think there’s a really great feeling in our program right now.”

—Staff writer Kelley Guinn McArtor can be reached at kelley.mcartor@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @KGMCrimson.

PreviewsWomen's Soccer