Harvard Today: October 3, 2014

•
By Y. Kit Wu

It’s finally Friday! It's been a long and sleep-deprived week for everyone, and in case you're in desperate need of looking at something other than textbooks, practice problems, and classnotes that don't make sense because you fell asleep during lecture, here are some highlights from Twitter this week:

Can we talk about how good the kale dumplings were from HUDS this week?

Yay for pumpkins, seasonal foods and drinks, leaves, and getting really drunk all of Halloween weekend!

Same:

In case anyone didn't get it, he's talking about his midterms this coming week:

And speaking of midterms....

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

The weather’s actually going to be nice today! It’s going to be sunny with a high of 61 degrees. There’s a 20% chance of precipitation at night, but that’s infinitely better than the rainy sadness that’s been the past two days. The weekend’s going to be a mix of different weather though– it’ll be rainy on Saturday and sunny on Sunday.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Fried Calamari RI Style (I guess we’re supposed to think it’s cool because they abbreviated it as “RI” instead of spelling out Rhode Island?)
Ham & Swiss Panini
Vegetable Lo Mein with Tofu

Dinner:

Pulled Pork with Chipotle
Bean & Cheese Burrito
Tortilla Veggie Pie

ON FLYBY

1) Young Joe Biden Was a Hottie: Click on the article for an attractive #tbt of the VP himself (you know you want to).

2) Escape to the Silver Screen: Brattle Theater in the square is showing some cool movies next week, which means you’ll feel cool watching some indie films!

IN THE NEWS

1) Burglary, Three Attempted Break-Ins Reported in the Yard: “During an eventful Thursday morning Harvard Police officers responded shortly before 2 a.m. to four different reports of either attempted entry or unlawful entry, one each at Dudley House, Straus Hall, Wigglesworth Hall, and a fourth location.”

2) Experts Examine Challenges Facing Affordable Care Act: "The Affordable Care Act has been largely successful, but faces a number of political, legal, and economic challenges in the coming years, according to a panel of experts at an event Thursday evening. The panel, titled 'Taking Stock of Health Reform,' drew a crowd of about 100 people to the Tsai Auditorium in CGIS South."

EVENTS: WEEKEND EDITION

PSA: Food trucks are returning to the Quad again this weekend! The Chicken and Rice Guys will be in the Quad Saturday night from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., which means if you’re drunk, live in the Quad, and hungry, good food is conveniently coming to you!

The IOP is having a Social Finance Career Roundtable at 1 p.m. this afternoon at the IOP L166. Learn about managing money but also making a social impact, and there will also be free lunch provided!

Come to The Crimson today at 14 Plympton Street for a Journalism & Media Fair today from 2 to 4 p.m. to learn about potential summer internships with Conde Nast, Atlantic Media Company, and The Boston Globe!

There’s a symposium and reception hosted by Food Better today from 3 to 5:30 p.m. at CGIS South! There will a panel discussion, free food, and a reception at the Queen’s Head later tonight!

It's Mean Girls Day (October 3rd, duh) and the College Events Board is having a free screening of it tonight at 9 p.m. in Science Center B!

The Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra is having their first concert of their season on Saturday at 8 p.m. at Sanders Theatre. Tickets are $10 for students and $15/$20/$25 for adults!

The Harvard College Faith & Action is having a Glowstick Capture the Flag on Saturday at 9 p.m. in Tercentenary Theater. Being healthy, hanging out with friends, and getting free glowsticks?!?!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Vice President Joe Biden speaks on foreign cooperation and competition at the Institute of Politics, Thursday night.

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.