Biden Caravan Shuts Down Square Briefly En Route to Fundraiser

By Noah J. Delwiche, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: October 30, 2014, at 3:30 p.m.

Several streets in an around the Square were temporarily shut down Wednesday evening, as a caravan of vehicles and limousines carrying Vice President Joseph R. Biden to and from a nearby fundraiser passed through Cambridge.

Biden was scheduled to attend a private fundraising event at a Cambridge home for Representative Carol Shea-Porter of New Hampshire and Seth W. Moulton '01, according to his public calendar. The event was scheduled for 5:30 p.m., though the Vice President’s caravan appeared to be running late.

It followed an afternoon of Bay State campaigning on Moulton’s behalf. Biden was also scheduled to be at an event in Boston for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Martha Coakley by 7:30 p.m., according to the White House.

The fundraising event in Cambridge marks Biden’s second appearance in town in recent weeks. Earlier in October, Biden discussed foreign policy at the Institute of Politics, where his sister, Valerie Biden Owens, is a fellow this semester.

—Staff writer Noah J. Delwiche can be reached at noah.delwiche@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @ndelwiche.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: October 30, 2014

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the state that Carol Shea-Porter represents in the House of Representatives. In fact, it is New Hampshire.

The Square