5 Questions With Dario Guerrero-Meneses

Dario Guerrero-Meneses ’15-’16, who came to the United States from Mexico when he was two and a half, recently wrote an op-ed for The Washington Post titled: “I told Harvard I was an undocumented immigrant. They gave me a full scholarship.” FM had the opportunity to chat with Guerrero-Meneses about his story, the article, and the response.
By Samuel E. Liu

Fifteen Minutes Magazine: The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) gave you the chance to get documented. What was it like to be finally getting social security?

DGM: I felt like I was finally being accepted—I finally had a chance to do things the right way as opposed to having to do things without disclosing my status. I’m able to apply for a license, work at Lamont, all thanks to DACA, and leave and reenter the country one time.

FM: Your article has nearly 1,000 comments, some of them quite negative. Do you think you’ve touched a nerve? 

DGM: Yeah, absolutely. The title I gave the article was heavily edited, and the story’s been portrayed in a certain light I didn't intend originally—mainly what’s been lost is the fact that I had to apply to Harvard, that I didn't walk into the office and get an acceptance letter. I absolutely believe that my status as an undocumented immigrant did nothing but help me,  not simply because of the type of American experience I had in not having a social security number. It provided a different view of the United States. It shaped me totally differently. My college essay was about working construction with my dad one day.

FM: What’s it been like to get some negative responses? 

DGM: I derive as much pleasure from the negative ones as from the positive ones. I’m also glad because I’m able to get an idea of why people feel that way. I don’t understand the economics and the politics—I just wanted to say my story.

FM: If you could tell the vitriolic commenters one thing, what would it be?

DGM: Oh, man, can’t be vulgar, right? No if people are going to comment about illegal immigration and Harvard I wish they’d truly inform themselves about Harvard’s admissions policies. Some people said that I should have left, and apply to come back to the United States. You can leave and apply, but most people are never going to be able to come back. For example, my dad had a furniture store in Mexico; my mom had a jewelry store—they got robbed several times; my mom’s father was kidnapped twice; my dad’s father was being extorted by some drug cartel before they left. So that just meant it wasn’t safe to stay in Mexico.

FM: Some of the comments imply that you are a “lawbreaker” and took a spot of a lawful citizen.

DGM: I came when I was two and a half, I mean I had no idea. Some of the comments say I could have made the conscious decision whether I wanted to be in the country or just leave and stay away—I don’t know, that never crossed mind, I guess because I considered it home.

CollegeConversations