Harvard Square Tunnel Reconstruction Delayed Due to Weather

By Jasmine Hakimian, Contributing Writer

Completion of the Harvard Square Tunnel has been delayed by a few more weeks due to weather, according to Commissioner of the Cambridge Department of Public Works Owen O’Riordan. This follows an initial construction complication that first delayed the completion of the project by one year.

According to the Cambridge Department of Public Works website, the city began the reconstruction project in order to improve the structural conditions of the tunnel at the northern end of Harvard Yard.

The construction of the Harvard Square Tunnel, also referred to as the Cambridge Street Underpass, began in Oct. 2012 and was supposed to be completed in the fall of 2013. The project was delayed last fall, however, because of difficulties with the concrete that required it to be reset.

“The concrete product that was placed last year on the floor of the tunnel didn’t bond properly. We needed to have it replaced again,” O’Riordan said.

Although the Cambridge Department of Public Works expected the concrete to be replaced and the project to be completed by Oct. 2014, the completion of the project has now been delayed further as a result of weather impediments like rain.

“We had some wet weather when we were pouring some concrete, which set us back," O'Riordan said.

According to O’Riordan, the majority of the work is now complete and what remains to be done is some asphalt work on both sides of the tunnel, anticipated to take a couple of weeks. He expects the project will be completed by the end of this month.

Cambridge