Herbarium Celebrates 90 Years

By Kayla McGarrell, Contributing Writer

Harvard recognized 90 years of the Farlow Reference Library and Herbarium of Cryptogamic Botany Thursday evening. To honor the moment, former interim Dean of the College Donald H. Pfister introduced the audience to a few of the collections out of the millions of specimens in the Herbarium, which include Antarctic lichens and fungi from Asia.

Pfister spoke to a crowd of around 200 people in the Geological Lecture Hall and began with deciphering the title of the Herbarium—cryptogams are organisms that are spore-producing.

As current curator of Farlow Herbarium and celebrated fungi enthusiast, Pfister provided a brief history of its beginnings and its founder William G. Farlow.

“One of the most interesting things with theses collections, is to look at them and realize that these are human endeavours,” said Pfister of the collection the herbarium houses. “Somebody went to the far ends of the Earth, and while they were there they collected organisms and brought them back, and documented them.”

Pfister highlighted the variety of specimens available for research or public enjoyment at the Herbarium on Divinity Ave. Though generally dried and kept away from insects to ensure their longevity, the samples can be rehydrated by botanists to study their natural form. The general public can also enjoy the museum by observing samples such as the lichens used for Egyptian mummification and embalming, or other specimens that facilitate the mummification process for caterpillars and fruit.

Beyond research and entertainment, Pfister emphasized the relevance of these specimens, and the importance of their study both in the past and future. In particular, he mentioned the tragedy of the 19th century Irish potato famine, caused by a microbe.

“A lot of these organisms are not the kind of organisms that people are always familiar with; they are not huge like trees, or they are not those charismatic animals that usually people love,” said Diana Munn, director of public programs for the Harvard Museums of Science and Culture. “These are organisms that are found in nature that are really small, but play key roles in ecosystems.”

The audience was able to view a part of the collections discussed during a reception that followed.

ScienceFacultyUniversityUniversity NewsScience News