Editorials

Equality in Effort

Following Khurana’s Push, Unrecognized Social Clubs Must Pick Up Slack

By The Crimson Staff

Earlier this fall, new Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana held his first meeting with Harvard’s unrecognized social organizations such as final clubs. This annual meetinghas traditionally been a relaxed discussion about University policies.

This year, however, saw Khurana, accompanied by Dean of Student Life Stephen Lassonde, seemingly taking a harder line toward these organizations—specifically with regard to how these groups’ values align with the greater Harvard community. This is a welcome change and is hopefully indicative of a shift in how the administration engages with these groups.

In the past year, the University has started to take a stronger stance toward student livelihood and safety. Examples of this shift include the massive restructuring of the University’s sexual assault policy, and Khurana’s efforts to reach out to students since assuming the deanship.

These are certainly steps in the right direction, and administrators are properly taking the reins in shaping this aspect of Harvard culture. However, successful and long-term improvements cannot be brought about by the administration alone.

College administrators have given undergraduates a greater voice in shaping policy at Harvard, especially with regard to sexual assault. Students should continue to make their voices heard, not only to the faculty but also to their peers. Cultural change means a holistic change, and students must also take an initiative in fostering equality and safety.

Student groups such as Our Harvard Can Do Better have already demonstrated their leadership in encouraging a safe and egalitarian culture on campus. Unrecognized social clubs are also important players in Harvard’s social landscape, regardless of their official relationship with the university. These organizations share the responsibility of making Harvard a better place.

Concern regarding unrecognized clubs is not a new phenomenon. In the past, students have indicated concern about the lack of diversity in finals clubs, as well as these clubs’ roles in perpetuating violence against students. Regardless of whether these complaints are valid, it seems clear that there is an image problem. These clubs should take an active stance in ensuring that their values—regarding socioeconomic diversity, racial diversity, and gender and sexuality—are respectful and in line with the standard we expect of Harvard students.

Hopefully, Khurana and other administrators will continue to work with unrecognized social groups, and will continue to hold these groups responsible for the impact they have on their fellow Harvard students.

Unrecognized social organizations can be leaders on campus. It is time for these clubs to truly take on this role.

Editorials