Harvard Today: December 5, 2014

•
By Melanie Y. Fu

Happy Friday and welcome to the second day of reading period, Harvard! Now that you don’t have the distraction of classes to keep you from finally doing all that work you’ve been avoiding all semester, it’s time to get down to business. Or, since it is Friday, you could treat yourself to a relaxing day off. Honestly, you’ve made it this far without knowing what you missed during all those lectures you skipped, so how important is that information, really? Whether you choose to be a productive student or not, we hope reading period lives up to all of your expectations.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today, there is a high of 46 degrees with a low of 36 with a small chance of rain in the evening. A perfect excuse to wear your most comfortable sweatpants, and since you’ll most likely be locked up in Lamont you’ll probably miss the rain altogether.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Baked Scallops with Lemon Parsley
Popcorn Chicken
Margarita Pizza on Multigrain Crust

Dinner
Bangers and Mash
Fish and Chips
Samosa with Tamarind Chutney

ON FLYBY
1) "Absent" Offers Confusion, Colorblindness & Life-Giving Saltines: Is this the new Ivy?! #omg #intrigue

2) PSA: DoorDash Means You'll Never Leave Your Dorm Room Ever Again: We’re all writing a lot of papers and studying for finals so who cares about eating healthy?

3) Campus Café Showdown: Just in time for you to pick your new fave study spot.

IN FM
Fifteen Most Interesting Seniors: Read all about the 15 seniors you should meet (or just stalk) before commencement.

IN THE NEWS
1) Following Long Island Closure, Local Homeless Shelters Struggle with Demand: Weeks after Boston officials closed a major homeless shelter located on a island in Boston Harbor, local homelessness service providers said they are already struggling with increased demand before the onset of winter.

2) $5 Million Grant Will Support Ed Leadership Program: The Graduate School of Education received a $5 million grant that will boost its Doctor of Education Leadership Program, School of Education Dean James E. Ryan announcedin late November.

3) Rowling’s 2008 Commencement Address To Be Published as Illustrated Book: Six years after J.K. Rowling delivered the Harvard Commencement address that University President Drew G. Faust called the most “moving and memorable” she had ever seen, Rowling’s motivational words will be immortalized in an illustrated book, according to a statement released on Tuesday by publisher Little, Brown and Company.

EVENTS: WEEKEND EDITION
The Harvard Ballet Company presents Alice tonight at 7 p.m. and tomorrow at 2 as well as 7 p.m. in Farkas Hall. Student tickets are $10.50 and can be purchased online.

IGP’s last show of the semester, Improv, Actually, is tonight at 7 p.m. in Science Center A. Suggested attire: warm sweaters.

School for Lies opens tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Ex, and is also going on at the same time all of this weekend as well as the next! Reserve your free tickets by emailing liesintheex@gmail.com.

Assassins, a musical profiling presidential killers, opens tonight in the Oberon at 7:30 p.m. There are additional shows tonight at 10 p.m., as well as Sunday at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and Monday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available online.

It’s holiday season in Sanders! The Radcliffe Choral Society and Harvard Glee Club have their Christmas in Sanders concert at 8 p.m. tonight. Tickets are $10 at the Box Office.

The Kuumba Singers of Harvard are having their annual Kuumba Christmas Concert this evening and tomorrow evening at 8 p.m. in Memorial Church! Tickets are free at the Box Office and also at the door.

The Harvard Undergraduate Drummers are having their James Bond-themed fall concert on Saturday at 8 p.m. in Lowell Lecture Hall. Tickets are $5 at the Box Office and $7 at the door.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Diana Sorensen, dean of the Arts and Humanities Division, addresses a group of students Thursday night during a discussion of skepticism in the humanities.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.