Valentine's Day Drinky Drink

Ah, Valentine’s Day. For some, it’s an excuse to drop the humdrum responsibilities of the semester and relish an evening on the town with the one you love. For others, it’s simply the right time to drink alone. Here are FM’s suggestions for a liquor-soaked holiday, no matter your relationship status.
By Marina Molarsky-Beck and J. Palmer Smith

Shot to the Heart

1.5 oz. amaretto

Whipped cream

1 tsp. grenadine

Pour the amaretto into a shot glass and garnish with whipped cream. Drizzle with grenadine. This concoction is as disgustingly sweet as the sight of you and your beloved holding hands over the table at Sandrine’s.

Green with Envy

1.5 oz. Midori Melon Liqueur

1 oz. lemon juice

2 oz. ginger ale

Add Midori, lemon juice, and ginger ale to a martini glass. Garnish with a twist of lime and your own self-loathing. As if this day weren’t bad enough, you spot your would-be paramour locked in a passionate embrace with a certain special someone in Harvard Yard. Day-time PDA is so trashy, y’all. Abscond to the darkness of your walk-through double to sip this emerald panacea. Don’t worry, your evening of shame will be our little secret.

Boozy and Broken-Hearted

1.5 oz. rye whiskey

3 oz. club soda

Pour whiskey and club soda into a highball glass. Or the (mostly) empty Solo cup on your desk. That works, too. So, you just got dumped. Feel your loneliness slip away on the most romantic day of the year, as whiskey wraps its warm arms around your aching consciousness.

Lonely One

1 shot vodka, neat

Rinse, repeat.

LevityA Little Levity