By the Numbers: Grad School

Not ready to enter the real world after college? Don’t worry; that’s what grad school is for! But it’s far from cheap. FM did a little math and even went undercover, started working on some applications to find out what attending some of Harvard’s graduate and professional schools might cost you. (All numbers as of Academic Year 2013-2014 and taken from university websites.)
By Ali M. Monfre

Not ready to enter the real world after college? Don’t worry; that’s what grad school is for! But it’s far from cheap. FM did a little math and even went undercover, started working on some applications to find out what attending some of Harvard’s graduate and professional schools might cost you. (All numbers as of Academic Year 2013-2014 and taken from University websites.)

Harvard law School

J.D. Program

Tuition (per year): $52,350

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $78,700

Application Fee: $85

Financial Aid: Based upon demonstrated need; no standard package or quota.

Harvard Divinity School

MTS/M.DIV./THM

Tuition (per year): $25,504

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $49,140

Application Fee: $75

Harvard Business School

MBA Program

Tuition (per year): $56,175

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $91,200

Application Fee: $250

Financial Aid: 65 percent of students receive some sort of need-based financial aid; 50 percent receive an average of $32,000 per year (this does not include potential outside scholarships, only HBS fellowships).

Ph.D Program

Tuition (per year): $0

Total Estimated Cost (per year): Only what the student chooses to spendabove the fellowship

Application Fee: $105

Financial Aid: All incoming students regardless of background or need receive a full fellowship.

Graduate School of Design

Tuition (per year): $42,056

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $63,632

Application Fee: $55

Financial Aid: Need-based grants, loans, and a federal work-study program are all available.

Graduate School of Education

Ed.M.

Tuition (per year): $40,016

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $64,954

Application Fee: $85

Financial Aid: Need-based aid; beyond that, must apply for outside fellowships and grants.

Harvard Kennedy School

MPP, MPA2, and MPA/ID

Tuition (per year): $42,868

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $72,302

Application Fee: $100

Financial Aid: Need-based scholarships and merit-based fellowships available, up to the full cost of tuition and possible stipends.

MC/MPA

Tuition (per year): $42,868

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $83,331

Application Fee: $100

Harvard School of Dental Medicine

Tuition (per year): $49,875 for the first four years; the fifth is determined by the program director

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $73,249 for the first year; $90,259 for the second year; $92,672 for the third year; $83,360 for the fourth year; the fifth is determined by the program director

Application Fee: $75

Financial Aid: Need-based; more than 75 percent of students receive some sort of aid.

Graduate School of Arts &

Sciences

Tuition (per year): $38,888 for the first two years; $10,112 for the third and fourth years; $2,574 thereafter

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $67,816 for the first two years; $39,040 for the third and fourth years; $31,502 thereafter

Application Fee: $105

Financial Aid: Full financial support is provided for at least five years, though students are encouraged to seek for outside grants, fellowships, and funding.

Harvard Medical School

Tuition: $52,100 for the first four years; $3,050 thereafter

Total Estimated Cost: $82,540 for the first four years; $33,490 thereafter

Application Fee: $100

Financial Aid: In 2012-2013, the Financial Aid Office offered $30 million in loans, employment, and scholarship funding to approximately 84 percent of the student body. Financial aid is based on need alone; there are no merit-based scholarships.

Harvard School of Public health

Masters’ COA

Tuition (per year): $45,900 for a one-year program; $38,800 for a two-year program

Total Estimated Cost (per year): $69,303 for a one-year program; $62,203 for a two-year program

Application Fee: None

Financial Aid: About 10 percent and 55 percent of students enrolled in the one-year and two-year programs respectively received grants from Harvard, at an average of $23,000 and $17,000. About 45percent and 65 percent received outside grants at an average of $18,000 and $19,000.

Graduate School of DesignGraduate School of EducationConversations