Harvard Today: April 11, 2014

•

By Nathalie R. Miraval

Happy Friday, you’ve finally made it to the weekend!

As we all know, Yardfest is on Sunday, so have lots of fun– whether it be sober or not!

In light of this weekend, here are some memorable things Yardfest’s headliners from past years have said:

2011’s headliner, Far East Movement, called us “one of the best motherf—ing party schools.” This is debateable, but thanks anyways!

Das Racist, 2012’s headliner, opened the show with: “What’s up, you drunk, overprivileged shits?” Awkward.

And finally, last year’s headliner, Tyga, started off his performance with, “Despite all the haters, we’re here ” after student protests surrounding his misogynist lyrics. He even dropped this line at the end: “I just want to say: Fuck the haters.”

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Tomorrow is going to be a high of 64 degrees, but don’t be too happy because there will be a few showers throughout the day. On the bright side, the rest of the weekend looks really promising though, with highs in the mid-60s and only a small chance of rain!

IN THE D-HALLS

Lunch:
Baked Cod with Herb Cracker Topping
Pesto Roasted Chicken
Morrocan Carrot, Chickpea Stew With Raisins

Dinner:
Caribbean Jerk Chicken
Spicy Curried Mussels
Roasted Jamaican Tofu

ON FLYBY

1) Tiny Crossbows, Silly String Lava War, and 2am Topology: Crashing MIT Campus Preview Weekend- Here’s a rundown of these weekend’s events at MIT’s Campus Preview Weekend, ranging from semi-awkward to extremely awkward social activities.

IN THE NEWS

2) In Letter, More Than 100 Faculty Members Call on Faust, Corporation To Divest From Fossil Fuels- “More than 100 faculty members from across the University signed an open letter on Thursday urging University President Drew G. Faust and members of the Harvard Corporation, the University’s highest governing body, to divest the University's endowment from fossil fuel companies.”

3) Winthrop Resident Dean Takes Medical Leave- “Winthrop House Resident Dean Gregg A. Peeples will take medical leave for the remainder of the spring semester, Winthrop House Masters Ronald S. Sullivan Jr. and Stephanie Robinson announced in an email this week. Adams House tutor Meghan Lockwood, who has previously served as acting resident dean in Adams and Quincy, will serve as Winthrop’s acting resident dean until Peeples’s return.”

4) Our Harvard Can Do Better Teaches, Recruits Students at Teach-In- “Less than a week after members announced they had filed a federal Title IX complaint against the University, organizers from Our Harvard Can Do Better, a student group advocating for modifications to Harvard’s sexual assault policy, held a teach-in event Wednesday”

EVENTS: WEEKEND PREVIEW

There are so many great events this weekend! And like a concert or something. Here’s a full run-down.

Theater: a number of fabulous shows are happening all over campus this weekend! Be sure to check some of it out!

Songs of a New World premieres this weekend in the Adams Pool Theater. Performances are tonight at 7:30 p.m. and tomorrow at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Tickets are available for free by emailing songsinthepool@gmail.com.

The Pillowman finishes its run this weekend on the Loeb Mainstage. Performances are at 8 p.m. tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. Tickets are available at the Harvard Box Office.

In Other Words, an original musical, finishes its run in the Loeb Experimental Theater. Tickets are free and can be reserved by emailing wordsintheex@gmail.com. Performances are tonight at 7:30 p.m., and Saturday at 2 p.m.

Andaaz, the South Asian Fashion Show, is taking place from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. tonight in the Cabot House Theater. Tickets are free, but all donations will go to Saheli, a non-profit that works with South Asian women and children in the greater Boston area. There will be samosas!

This Saturday is the Harvard College Film Festival. A number of student films will be showcased in Harvard Hall 103 between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. At 5 p.m. in Sever 113, a panel of industry professionals will speak about their work and experiences.

The English department is hosting an event on Theater as an Collaborative Art, featuring Annie Baker, an author, and Sam Gold, a Broadway director. The event will take place in Farkas Hall at 11 a.m. on Saturday, seats are first-come, first-served.

In your weekend sports roundup, Women’s Lacrosse, Men’s Tennis, Baseball will be facing off against Princeton, Princeton, and Brown respectively, all at 1 p.m. on Saturday. For more, check out gocrimson.com.

Yardfest. Sunday. Tercentary Theater. 5 p.m. Be there.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Cornel R. West ’73 (right) spoke in Emerson Hall on Thursday, April 10 as part of a discussion held by the Black Men’s Forum. West spoke to the importance of cultivating virtue and compassion in the United States.

YardfestFlyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.