Contract Employee Injured after Fall from Science Center Roof

Around 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, a contract employee for Harvard Energy and Utilities Services fell from a water cooling tower while working on the roof of the Science Center. According to Faculty of Arts and Sciences spokesperson Jeff Neal, the man “suffered significant injuries."

Harvard University Police and several ambulances responded to the accident. The employee was carried on a stretcher down from the roof.

“Medical personnel responded and have taken him to the hospital for treatment,” Neal said.

Elevators in the Science Center were shut off around 11:40 a.m. The elevator stop on the fifth floor of the Science Center, where authorities had gathered after the fall, remained locked at press time. Emergency services had vacated the building.

HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano could not be reached for comment at the time of publication. John P. Clougherty, the manager of the Harvard Operations Center, a subgroup of Campus Services that oversees energy and utilities, was also unable to be reached.

–Staff writer Karl M. Aspelund can be reached at karl.aspelund@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @kma_crimson.

—Staff writer Caroline C. Hunsicker can be reached at caroline.hunsicker@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @cchunsicker.

Recommended Articles

E-House Blackout
A power failure darkened six Eliot House entries yesterday morning, silencing alarm clocks and leaving some unhappy but rested undergraduates.
Even When the Sky Is Falling Down (In Your Room)
Green Roof GSD
GSD Experiments With Roofs
The Invisible City
Dorsey has stepped in to create an invisible and vibrant infrastructure all around us that plays counterpoint to the aging and decrepit one we inhabit, and hopefully our elected officials will follow his example.
Sound Installation for Cultural Tunes
Those walking by the Carpenter Center Thursday afternoon might have heard what sounded like oriental tunes coming from the roof of the building.