Harvard Today: April 8, 2014

•

By Tiana A Abdulmassih

Good morning Harvard, and happy Tuesday!

Today is one of the best days of the year: Free Cone Day at Ben & Jerry’s! Stop by the scoop shop in the Garage between 12 p.m. and 8 p.m. to get your free scoop. Although the lines may grow, don’t lose heart—flip open a course pack and get started on that reading for section! We all know Harvard students rock at multi-tasking. If that won’t get you through today, something else might instead! Au Bon Pain is offering a free coffee or iced tea anyone who stops by between 2 and 5 p.m. Perfect time for a caffeine boost to get your through that post-lunch slump!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today’s high is an incredible 65 degrees! However, there’s a 70% chance of rain all day, particularly in the morning. This too shall pass. Eventually.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Honey Stung Fried Chicken
Roast Beef Panini
Tofu Panaeng Curry

Dinner
Chicken Dumplings
Hoisin Glazed Salmon
Tofu Vegetable Lo Mein

ON FLYBY
1) How to Avoid Getting Sick: As the seasons change, it seems like pretty much everyone is battling a cold. Don’t be one of those people.

2) What To Do Now Spring is Here: Although this title makes us knock on wood, we appreciate the advice. Skies out, thighs out!

3) Why Harvard is Basically Game of Thrones: So everyone told us Harvard was cut-throat. Guess we didn’t know they were being so literal…

IN THE NEWS
4) University Will Adopt UN-Backed Investment Principles, Launch New Climate Change Initiatives: “University President Drew G. Faust announced several new initiatives to mobilize solutions to climate change in an email to the Harvard community Monday afternoon, including the decision to adhere to investment policies and practices laid out by the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment.”

5) Samantha Power Will Return to Kennedy School to Give Class Day Address: U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha J. Power will address 2014 graduates of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at the school’s Class Day on May 28, Dean David T. Ellwood ’75 announced in a press release Monday.

EVENTS
The Institute of Politics’ event in the JFK Jr. Forum is tonight at 6 p.m. The panel discussion on Israel, Iran, and the Arab Revolution, features former director of the CIA, David Petraeus, and Meir Hagan, former director of the Israeli equivalent, the Mossad.

The Harvard College Democrats are hosting a panel on student perspectives and experiences with immigration, featuring student speakers from the Asian American Association, Chinese Students Association, and Act on a Dream. Stop by Boylston 103 at 8 p.m. for what is sure to be an interesting discussion!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Karen Gordon Mills moderates a panel hosted by President Drew G. Faust entitled "When Women Lead" in Sanders Theatre on April 7. Jill Abramson, Edith Cooper, and Janet Napolitano spoke about their professional experiences and the role of women in the workplace.

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.