Male Rookie of the Year, Runner-Up: Dylan Murray

By Emily T. Wang, Crimson Staff Writer

Dylan Murray already had a decorated squash career before he ever stepped onto a Harvard court. The five-time U.S. Junior National Champion and three-time Boy’s U19 U.S. National title-holder was also a 2013 WSF Men’s World Team Championship member.

This year, the freshman earned even more accolades. He was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year and finished the season in the No. 3 spot, sporting a 13-2 record.

“Dylan is such a talented kid,” senior Ali Farag said. “He works very hard and I think he deserves much more than just that title. What he achieved wasn’t just for him, it was for the entire team.”

Murray started as the fourth player in the Crimson lineup for two games before moving into the top three. In his first year, he helped the No. 1-ranked Crimson to an 18-0 record with 12 9-0 shutouts. The freshman had only two losses. One was a forfeit due to illness, and the other came when he moved up to play at No. 2 against the University of Rochester’s Mario Yanez.

In an upset over Trinity, Murray defeated Vrishab Kotian in four games to contribute to the 7-2 win. He then went on to dominate Kotian again at the CSA Team National Championships.

“In the college scene, it’s about that maturity level,” Harvard coach Mike Way said. “So the question becomes if a player can learn quick enough to be able to handle that stress, and [Murray]…took it on. He’s grown into that role.”

At the end of the season, Murray garnered not just the Ivy League Rookie of the Year title, but was also a unanimously All-Ivy first team selection along with teammate Farag.

“Coming in, [Murray] was a five or six-time national champion so he knew he was a good player, but adjusting to college is difficult,” co-captain Brandon McLaughlin said. “He always had high expectations for himself and he lived up to them this year.”

—Staff writer Emily T. Wang can be reached at emilywang@college.harvard.edu.

Men's SquashCommencement 2014Year in Sports 2014