Harvard Will Save You From Your Copyright Crisis

Picture this: it’s a Thursday night in Lamont and you are madly typing away on a paper due the next morning. You’re calmly searching the internet for sources when all of a sudden, you have an emergency. There’s an awesome totally relevant article you found on Google Scholar, but you don’t know how to cite it. Lucky for you, this fall the Harvard Library system is launching its “Copyright First Responder” program, which includes a dozen library staff members who have been specially trained to answer questions related to copyright law.

These specially trained ‘Copyright First Responders’ will be scattered throughout various libraries and departments, in order to assist students and “create a collaborative network of support among their peers involved with copyright issues,” according to the program’s website. The program will kick-off in the fall with a series of presentations at various libraries across Harvard.

Though these librarians won’t be wearing neon-vests or have badges, the next time you find yourself wondering how to cite a selfie, or are having a lot of trouble on that Gov 1310 final paper, seek out a copyright first responder. They’re presumably a lot nicer than the academic integrity police.