Stanton, Smith Not Playing Against Holy Cross

Junior Paul Stanton, the Harvard football team's leading rusher from last year, is out for the Crimson's season opener against Holy Cross.
Junior Paul Stanton, the Harvard football team's leading rusher from last year, is out for the Crimson's season opener against Holy Cross. By Robert F Worley
By Jacob D. H. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard football team starts its season tonight without its top two running backs, junior Paul Stanton and freshman Semar Smith. Both are out with injuries.

Senior Andrew Casten will see the bulk of the carries as the Crimson takes on Holy Cross (2-1) under the lights of Harvard Stadium.

Casten had 151 yards on 40 carries last season. The sidelined Stanton led the team with 936 rushing yards and 17 total touchdowns a year ago.

Smith had risen up the depth chart since arriving on campus before being sidelined. His brother, senior receiver Seitu Smith II, will receive carries due to the injuries.

Seitu Smith ran for 85 yards on 14 carries in the Spring Game, and he and Casten each scored a touchdown in that scrimmage.

“Suffice it to say that Paul Stanton is one of the most explosive running backs and offensive weapons in the Ivy League,” Harvard coach Tim Murphy said. “He’s a guy that obviously we want to get healthy, but we do feel good about the people we have lining up at that position.”

For updates and analysis, follow @THCSports.

FootballFront FeatureSports Front Feature