Harvard Today: September 25, 2014

•
By Mac G Schumer

Happy Thursday! Even though today’s weather prospects seem bleak, there’s some great weather headed our way this weekend! While we always joke around that you should appreciate the great weather by watching Netflix under your covers (and we still believe in this strongly), we should all actually take advantage of it so we can feel outdoorsy and cultured and adventurous and accomplished! Go kayaking on the Charles, biking along the river, visit some museums, or walk to Central Square! (Or you could always just get drunk and party hard all within the walls of Harvard—we won’t judge).

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
It’s going to be rainy all day today with a high of 63 degrees! Maybe we should all start begging for the sun to come back because we’re at the point in the year right now where the nice weather might possibly never come back and we have winter for the next 6 months.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Crispy Swai Fish Sandwich
Roasted Honey Lime Chicken
Tofu, Broccoli and Walnut Stir Fry

Dinner:
Baked Multigrain Spaghetti
Broccoli & Cheese Fritatta
Home Fried Potatoes

ON FLYBY
1) Penn Students Create, Misspell Frat Jacket: "a jacket you wear to frats because you don’t mind if at the end of the night, it is covered in beer [and] frat sludge." Wow, why haven’t we thought of this before?!?

2) You Can Make Money by Smoking Weed, Drinking Heavily, and Listening to Karaoke: Make money while preparing (read: eating all) the Cinnamon Toasters for Brain Break, aka the dream.

IN THE NEWS
1) Stephen Blyth Named Next President and CEO of Management Company: “Stephen Blyth will be the next president and chief executive officer of Harvard Management Company, the University’s investment arm which manages its $36 billion endowment.”

2) Harvard Team’s Big Bang Findings Called into Question: “At a panel discussion in March, a team of Harvard researchers led by associate professor of Astronomy John M. Kovac shared evidence of “cosmic inflation,” the expansion of the universe after the Big Bang. The data—which was collected over three years and analyzed over four—indicated that a gravitational repulsion caused the universe’s exponential expansion.”

3) Ahead of Sit-Down, Union Releases Healthcare Report: “Days ahead of a planned sit-down with University administrators, the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers released a report on Wednesday afternoon that offers suggestions for lowering annual healthcare costs for all Harvard employees.”

EVENTS
The OCS is having a panel on International Development today at 54 Dunster Street from 4 to 5 p.m. Hear about a variety of experiences working for NGOs, civil society and private sector firms, global health consultancies, and bilateral and multilateral development organizations!

IOP Study Groups are starting today! IOP Fellow Valerie Biden Owens is having her first case study on her brother Vice President Joe Biden’s senatorial campaign in 1972 at 4 p.m. in IOP L166. IOP Fellow Frank Fahrenkopf is also speaking at the same time but in Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Dining Room!

The IOP is also having an event later in the evening entitled Consulting at the Intersection of Business and Government in IOP L166 from 7 to 8 p.m. Speak to a representative from Booz Allen Hamilton and also get free dinner!

Student LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.