Harvard Today: September 26, 2014

•
By Mac G Schumer

Good morning, Harvard, and TGIF! We know how relieved you are that the week is finally coming to an end. Like always, it’s been a long one. Amid the craze of classes, meetings, athletics, and extracurriculars, it’s crazy to think that we’re already four weeks into the semester, over a fourth of the way through it. That’s a potentially panic-inducing statement no matter what year you are; see below.

Freshman
Four weeks in? Why haven’t I seen my third roommate in six days? How are people already involved in all their extracurriculars? Why do I have a midterm on Monday? How come I don’t know who my friends are?

Sophomore
Four weeks in? That means I’m halfway to the deadline for declaring my concentration? What is my concentration? Who is my academic advisor? Why don’t I know anyone in my house yet? Why did I commit to so many leadership positions last spring? What even is punch?

Junior
Four weeks in? Wait, I’m over halfway through college by now. What am I doing? Did I even pick the right concentration? So do I need to start thinking about a thesis? What am I doing this summer? Why aren’t I best friends with any faculty yet? Why is that freshman so attractive?

Senior
Four weeks in? Of my last fall semester ever? Is this real? Why did I decide to write a thesis? (or alternatively) Why aren’t I writing a thesis? How does this on-campus interview thing work? How else do I find a job? What am I doing with my life?

Yeah, so seniors take the cake. But hey, we’re all dealing with something. Give yourself the weekend to forget about it all. Have a good one!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
We’re going to be experiencing a late-September-summer-surge this weekend, with a high of 73 today, moving up to 85 on Sunday, and 0% chance of rain each day! Thank goodness, we were already getting tired of the sweater and jeans uniform that dominates the fall. Take this opportunity to bust out your favorite skirts, dresses, and shorts once again--you probably won’t get one like it until June.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch
Herb Crusted Pollack
Roast Beef Panini
Seitan Tostadas

Dinner
Hoisin Glazed Salmon
Pork Dumplings
Tofu Vegetable Lo Mein

ON FLYBY
1. ICMYI: Student-Led ‘emBODYindia’ Campaign Sparks International Discourse. Check out this amazing photo-project addressing the issue of female objectification in India and beyond.

2. What is The Seneca, Anyway?: A question on the minds of every sophomore girl this fall. Don’t worry, we’ve got the answer.

IN THE NEWS
1. Unloading the Ad Board: The Administrative Board, as the group of deans and faculty members is known, has remained mostly unchanged since its founding in 1890. But two major policy changes, approved in the span of just two months earlier this year, are set to overhaul its jurisdiction and rework its purpose by next fall.

2. Anthropology Library Reopens: After 18 months of construction originally projected to cost $12 million, the now-LEED gold-certified Tozzer Library, the country’s oldest anthropology collection, reopened in mid-June. The project renovated the nearly 40-year-old library and centralized the offices of the faculty of the anthropology department, who were previously spread across campus.

EVENTS: WEEKEND EDITION
Tony Award nominee and Drama Desk Award winner Carolee Carmello, Currently playing the role of Mrs. du Maurier in the new musical “Finding Neverland” at the American Repertory Theater, will lead a master class for undergraduate singers at 3 p.m. in Farkas Hall Studio today. Observers are welcome; admission is free!

Harvard Student Labor Action Movement is launching a campaign today at 3 p.m. to demand that Harvard cut its ties with Teach for America. If you’re interested in this movement, join them outside Mass Hall to learn more as they deliver a letter to President Faust.

Interested in venture capital? Visit Boylston Hall from 5-7 p.m. for An Evening of Ventures. You’ll have the opportunity to learn more about startups and venture capital from top-notch entrepreneurs and VC partners from the Boston area.

Stop by Paine Hall tonight at 8 p.m. for a performance by the Parker String Quartet! Tickets are free and available at the Harvard Box Office, with a limit of two per person. They will be playing pieces by Haydn, Dutilleaux, and Dvorak. Sure to be an incredible evening!

Interested in educational empowerment? Visit Hauser Hall at the law school Saturday at 5 p.m. for a panel discussion with students from the Graduate School of Education and some classmates in the college about how attending college is a civil rights issue. The discussion will be followed by a screening of the movie Walkout.

Head over to Sanders Theatre at 7 p.m. Saturday night for a panel discussion titled: The American Dream? Money, God, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Panelists include Charles Lee of Stanford University and Michael Puett of Harvard University, and the discussion will be moderated by our very own Dean Rakesh Khurana. Start your night out with some food for thought!

Harvard's Sikh Student Association invite you Kultar’s Mime, a free immersive interfaith theater experience on the 30th anniversary of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in Delhi. The show is on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Cabot Theatre.

Another theatrical option on Saturday is Harvard Radcliffe Dramatic Club’s first annual Short Play Festival at 7:30pm in the Loeb Ex. Head over for an evening full of unique, varied, student-written theater.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Tourists debate which cameras produce the best results.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.