Upon Further Review: How Holy Cross Was Beat

The Harvard defense works in tandem to hold Holy Cross to a short gain
By Jacob D. H. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

Each week this season, Crimson staff writer Jacob Feldman will take you inside the Harvard football team’s strategy in a multimedia notebook. This week, a look at how the Crimson outplayed Holy Cross on both sides of the ball.

OFFENSE

Playing without last year's three biggest offensive weapons—tight end Cam Brate '14, injured senior wideout Ricky Zorn, and injured junior running back Paul Stanton—the Harvard football team still managed to score points in the 41-18 win over Holy Cross on Sept. 19 thanks to plays like the one above.

The 21-yard pass from junior quarterback Scott Hosch to sophomore tight end Anthony Firkser was set up by a collection of screen passes to speedy wideouts Andrew Fischer and Bryce Walker.

But before we get to what is going on with the wide receivers, look at how this play starts in the backfield.

A zone-read look forces the defenders to pay attention to Hosch and senior running back Andrew Casten. At the same time, the three receivers on one side of the field are setting up for what looks like another screen pass.

Combined, the two elements of misdirection force the defense out of position and create space for Firkser to make a big play. As you watch the play again, keep your eyes on the Holy Cross safety, who comes up to play the run and the screen, only to be turned completely around when Firkser blows by him on his route.

Given that former Harvard president Charles Eliot ’53 once said, "I understand that a curve ball is thrown with a deliberate attempt to deceive. Surely this is not an ability we should want to foster at Harvard," he likely would not have been a fan of the Crimson's offensive strategy Friday. But it worked.

Here is Firkser describing the play from his perspective:

false

Harvard coach Tim Murphy said Wednesday that the play puts a lot of stress on the defense.

"Obviously, it's very tough to defend," he said.  "Are you aggressive with run support on the screen and then who has got the verticals? And obviously, that's a staple of our screen and screen-pass complement."

DEFENSE

Harvard employed a Cover 3 defense for much of Friday's game. In the scheme, the cornerback closest to the sideline was responsible for staying on the deepest route, with the inner cornerback staying close to the receiver opposite him at first and then backpedaling to cover the area left open by the outside corner backing up.

For visual learners, here is a depiction of that cover scheme for the two corners, along with the safety who can provide help to either.

Holy Cross was able to attack the coverage with a play called Flood in the Harvard system, in which three receivers attack the two corners’ zones, forcing the defenders to make a choice and leave one of the three open. On two occasions, it was the middle receiver who got open for a medium gain.

In both instances, the inside corner devoted too much attention to the receiver in the short flat.

“When you have a young secondary, the emphasis has to be, ‘Don’t give up the big play,’” Murphy said while watching the play Wednesday. “Especially against an outstanding quarterback, especially early in the season with young guys, you are going to give up some flat routes, maybe some deep flat routes, and some easy throws, but it’s better than just getting beat over the top by playing too aggressive.”

Murphy added, “I think the thing we might do a little better is play that deep flat route—the No. 2 guy—a little better and giving up the flat, and then come up and tackle.”

The young secondary improved up as the game went on. In a big spot, you can see the corners man their zones perfectly. The inside corner stays on the receiver opposite of him at first, and then buzzes back to get in front of the receiver running the out route. Crusaders quarterback Peter Pujals was forced to check down for a short gain.

On Wednesday, junior cornerback Sean Ahern explained that the defense wanted to challenge Holy Cross to put together long drives. Bend but don’t break. The Crusaders did go on a couple extended marches down the field, but they only managed six points in the second half as Harvard’s defense ultimately helped the Crimson pull away for another season-opening win.

—Staff writer Jacob D.H. Feldman can be reached at jacob.feldman@thecrimson.com.

Football