Cambridge City Council Discusses Assaults and Playground Renovation

By Arjun S. Byju, Crimson Staff Writer

In a short meeting Monday night, the Cambridge City Council discussed resolutions regarding an information system for incidents of assault in the area, a decrepit playground, and traffic safety regulations.

The first policy order, which was submitted by Cambridge Mayor David P. Maher and adopted after a unanimous vote, came in light of recent assaults at the Fresh Pond Reservation, a nature preserve home to a nine-hole golf course and a trail frequented by runners and cyclists.

According to Maher, there have been two attacks on women at Fresh Pond in the last eight weeks. His proposal, if enacted, would lead to discourse between the Council and the Cambridge Police and Fire Departments about spreading information of such incidents to the public. The purpose, Maher said, is to “make sure that people are aware...and are vigilant.”

Maher said his goal is to ensure that Cambridge residents are warned in a timely fashion.

The Council also discussed opportunities for potential renovation of a playground in North Cambridge. City Manager Richard C. Rossi brought forth the issue of the playground facilities near the Jackson Place Apartments, a pair of four-story buildings.

The Cambridge Housing Authority reviewed the status of the neighborhood’s playground over the summer and deemed that it was operational, outlining a plan for renovations to take place in 2016.

However, this review was found to be inadequate by members of the council, including Councilor Nadeem A. Mazen, who argued that the playground should be renovated more swiftly.

Mazen called attention to the importance of the playground in the community, which he noted is located in a socioeconomically disadvantaged area of Cambridge. He argued that parents will not have another nearby recreational facility to send their children to if the Jackson Place facility is not renovated.

“This community doesn’t feel that it has a safe place for its kids to play, and these problems are often overrepresented in places of poverty,” Mazen said.

James Williamson, a resident of Cambridge, also complained about unsatisfactory conditions of the playground and shared Mazen’s sentiment that it ought to be renovated more quickly.

“The surface is all buckling, the basketball basket has been removed, there are no swings,” Williamson said. “If anyone were to go look at it, they could see in how much disrepair it was. Parents don’t feel comfortable having their young children going over to this...area.”

Williamson also complained of drug use at the playground.

“The use of the space [the playground] is usually for a certain medicinal herb in the evening...making it uncomfortable for other people,” Williamson said.

The City Manager’s proposal for the playground will continue to be evaluated.

The Council also unanimously passed policy orders to investigate the possibility of installing better traffic signs at the intersection of Mass. Ave. and Prospect Street and to park a garbage truck at the Transportation and Public Utilities meeting on Oct. 22 to showcase the new equipment.

—Staff writer Arjun S. Byju can be reached at arjun.byju@thecrimson.com.

Cambridge City CouncilCambridge