Law School CFO To Leave for Bates College

The Law School’s chief financial officer, Geoffrey S. Swift, has been named vice president for finance and administration and treasurer of Bates College, the school announced.

Swift will take office at Bates on Nov. 1. In his new position, he will work closely with A. Clayton Spencer, who served as the vice president for policy at Harvard and was noted as the right-hand woman for four consecutive University presidents. Spencer left Harvard in 2012 to take over as president of Bates.

“We are very fortunate that Geoff will be joining Bates in this key position,” Spencer said in the school’s press release. “He comes with a reputation as a creative financial strategist who is also highly effective as a day-to-day manager.”

As CFO since 2009, Swift began overseeing the Law School’s $200 million operating budget shortly after the 2008 financial crisis forced the University to cut funds across campus.

A graduate of Amherst College, Swift earned an MBA from Harvard Business School in 2002. While a student at the Business School, where he later worked, Swift served as a resident business tutor at Adams House.

—Staff writer Tyler S. Olkowski can be reached at tyler.olkowski@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @OlkowskiTyler.

Recommended Articles

VP Spencer Named President of Bates College
Vice President for Policy A. Clayton Spencer has been selected as Bates College’s eighth president, Bates announced Sunday. Spencer, who ...
Clayton Spencer Strikes Out On Her Own, Leaving Behind Long Legacy of Accomplishments
A. Clayton Spencer, Harvard’s vice president for policy, has served as the right-hand woman for four Harvard presidents.
"Introduction to Congress" Final Exam
Government Department Reacts to Scandal in Congress Class
Spencer Inaugurated as Bates President
A. Clayton Spencer, a former Harvard vice president for policy, was inaugurated as the eighth President of Bates College Friday afternoon. The audience included familiar Harvard faces, such as University President Drew G. Faust.
Men's Squash Dominates in Sweep of No. 15 Bates
No. 3 Harvard picked up seven 3-0 victories en route to a perfect finish against Bates.
Women's Squash Wins Big Against Bates
In their first time out in 2013, the Crimson (5-0, 1-0 Ivy) dominated from top to bottom and posted a perfect 9-0 win.