Women's Squash Sweeps Franklin and Marshall

By Stephen J. Gleason, Crimson Staff Writer

On Monday, the No. 1 Harvard women’s squash team bounced back from its first loss of the season with a 9-0 sweep of No. 13 Franklin and Marshall in a nonconference match in Lancaster, Pa. The Crimson was able to dominate the host Diplomats, winning all nine matches in three-game sweeps.

Harvard (4-1, 2-1 Ivy) was playing its third road match in three days, following a 7-2 victory over Princeton on Saturday and a 5-4 loss to Penn on Sunday, its only defeat of the year thus far. Franklin and Marshall (4-4) had not played since its 9-0 loss at Yale on Dec. 6.

Playing from the No.1 position, senior Amanda Sobhy, the three-time defending national champion, remained undefeated on the season and in her four-year Harvard career with a sweep over freshman Sherilyn Yang.

Freshman Alyssa Mehta also stayed unbeaten while playing from the No. 2 position in her Crimson career, improving her record to 3-0 after besting fellow first-year Lauren Johnston. Mehta was able to bounce back with a victory after suffering her first collegiate loss Sunday at Penn.

Freshman Sue Ann Yong made the most of her return to the No. 4 position after two wins this weekend from the sixth position. The Malaysia native has yet to lose in her young collegiate career. Junior Michelle Gemmell picked up her victory from the third position with a win over Diplomat junior Emily Caldwell.

Co-captain Megan Murray won from the No. 5 position while fellow senior Julianne Chu did so from the No. 6 spot. Junior Isabelle Dowling, sophomore Caroline Monrad, and sophomore Keegan Mendez all picked up victories in their first action since the Crimson defeated Boston College, 9-0, on Dec. 7.

This was Harvard’s third sweep this season and it was also the third time this year all nine Crimson players have won their matches in three-game sweeps.

—Staff writer Stephen Gleason can be reached at sgleason@college.harvard.edu

Women's Squash