Which Humanities Theses Are Fake and Which Are Real?

​As hard as it is to research an obscure thesis topic for months and write it up in a meager 100 or so pages, titling said thesis is likely the hardest part of the whole endeavor. The more esoteric the topic, the more amusing the title (we assume). FM scoured Lamont’s shelves to find the most entertaining humanities thesis titles. We threw in a few of our own creations just to keep you on your toes. Happy guessing! And if you wrote one of these...Well, you’ve got at least one question right by default!
By Aisha Y. Bhoori and Amelia G. Miller

As hard as it is to research an obscure thesis topic for months and write it up in a meager 100 or so pages, titling said thesis is likely the hardest part of the whole endeavor. The more esoteric the topic, the more amusing the title (we assume). FM scoured Lamont’s shelves to find the most entertaining humanities thesis titles. We threw in a few of our own creations just to keep you on your toes. Happy guessing! And if you wrote one of these...Well, you’ve got at least one question right by default!

1) Whose House? Asian American Youth in the Rave Scene

2) A Room of Her Own? Orgasmic Motifs in the Roaring Twenties

3) 20th Century Behavioral Discourse on Gambling in Atlantic City

4) Yelping for Help and Helping Yelp

5) Chords from the Underground: Song and Memory in Dostoevsky

6) Posthumanism in the Sea King’s Palace: Jellyfish Imaginations and Encounters

7) Instructions to Hearing Persons Desiring a Deaf Man

8) How to Order Sushi: Lessons from Cross-Cultural Trade in the Seafood Industry

9) Homoeroticism in Coleridge’s “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”

10) The Game is Afoot: The Baker Street Irregulars and Sherlock Holmes Fandom in America

Key: 1) Real 2) Fake 3) Fake 4) Real 5) Fake 6) Real 7) Real 8) Fake 9) Fake 10) Real

CollegeHumanities DivisionThesisLamontLevity