History Prof Kishlansky Remembered as Enthusiastic Storyteller

Late professor Mark A. Kishlansky taught seventeenth-century British history and for several years served as the associate dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
By Jessica Min, Crimson Staff Writer

Family and colleagues remembered History professor Mark A. Kishlansky at a memorial service in Memorial Church on Friday, a nod to Kishlansky’s lasting legacy as both a dedicated educator and vivid storyteller.

Kishlansky, who came to Harvard in 1991 as a professor of 17th-century British history, died on May 19. He was 66.

Late professor Mark A. Kishlansky taught seventeenth-century British history and for several years served as the associate dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. By Crimson file photo

It is “not enough to say he lived to teach, but rather that he lived to affect others with his infectious enthusiasm,” said Matthew T. Kishlansky ’00, the professor’s son.

Kishlansky enjoyed an illustrious career teaching courses on British social history and the English Revolution. He served as the associate dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences from 1997 to 2001.

Sharing anecdotes about Kishlansky, colleagues and family at the service Friday remembered his boisterous laughter, liveliness, and wit.

Michael McCormick, a professor of medieval history, described Kishlansky as “one of a kind: feisty, funny, and sometimes sarcastic”.

Kishlansky’s energy translated into a true dedication to students and his teaching. Former students Maya R. Jasanoff ’96, a History professor at Harvard, and Paul D. Halliday, a professor of history and law at the University of Virginia, both reminisced over Kishlansky’s engaging retelling of the beheading of King Charles I. Both attributed their decisions to later pursue academic careers in history to the engaging professor.

“He was truly the most hilarious man I’ve ever met,” Jasanoff said. “He has left an enduring mark.”

Kishlansky pioneered the initiative to involve senior professors in sophomore and junior history tutorials, an enduring legacy that lasts to this day, according to McCormick. He added that Kishlansky’s actions helped attract many bright students to the History Department, who went on to pursue successful careers in history, business, government, and law.

“He was not just hilarious; his axioms were amazing,” McCormick said. “He truly changed the teaching life of the History Department.”

The service included several songs by Bob Dylan, one of Kishlansky’s favorite musicians, and featured readings of his favorite writers, George Orwell and William Shakespeare. A reception ta the Harvard Faculty Club followed the service.

—Staff Writer Jessica Min can be reached at jessica.min@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twttier @jessmin17.

HistoryObituaryFacultyFaculty News