Skiing Adds Another Top 10 Finish to Season

By Julio Fierro, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard skiing team continues to turn in solid performances, as the team notched yet another top-10 performance at the St. Michael’s carnival in Huntington, Vermont. The team finished with 272 points, just nine points behind the hosts.

The team was led by senior Akeo Mailfeld-Carucci, who finished in ninth place in the 10k classic race with a time of 32:27.8. It marked the third time in three race in which the Bozeman, MT native has finished inside the top 10.

Rookie Connor Green finished the 10k race in 42nd with a time of 34:42.0 as the freshman obtained 12 points for the squad.

The Nordic team continued its success, as sophomore Rachel Hampton finished the 5k race with a time of 18:25.0, good for 13th place overall and the third straight top-20 finish for the sophomore.

Hampton was joined by classmate Maile Sapp who placed 32nd with a time of 19:13.9. Juniors Hanna Barnes and Annie Harvieux came close behind the sophomore duo, finishing in 35th and 36th.

In the team events, Sapp, Maifeld- Carruci, Hampton and sophomore Devlin Shea teamed up to take 13th place overall in the 4x3 freestlye relay, finishing with a time of 40:18.2. The squad was closely followed by the team of Green, Barnes, Harvieux and sophomore Ian Meyer, who turned in a 19th place, 41:12.6 finish.

The Nordic squad would ultimately finish with 180 of the team’s 272 points, finishing no lower than ninth place in the individual events.

While they contributed the majority of the points, the Noridc team wouldn’t be the only ones who would prove to be successful, as the alpine team helped contribute with solid performances of their own.

Freshman Kelly Steeves would lead the team with 25th and 31st place finishes in the giant slalom and slalom, respectively. It was the second straight weekend that the rookie finished first for the Crimson in both events. Junior Samantha Udolf joined Steeves in the slalom with a 34th place, 2:01.15 finish

On the men’s side, junior Simon Merryweather would finish 30th in the slalom with a  1:53.66 mark and was followed closely by teammates Dan Rittenhouse and James Stevenson, as the junior and sophomore finished in 36th and 37th respectively.

The skiing team continues its season next weekend as the team travels to Hanover, NH to compete at the Dartmouth Carnival hosted by perennial national powerhouse Darmouth.

—Staff writer Julio Fierro can be reached at jfierro01@college.harvard.edu

SkiingGame Stories