Harvard Today: February 5, 2015

•

By Madeline R. Lear

Happy Thursday, Harvard! Hopefully you’ve turned in your study cards and are at least somewhat sure on your classes (but thank goodness for add-drop). Unfortunately, being officially signed up for classes is a horrible reminder that every week can’t be shopping week, and we’re actually expected to show up for lecture and section for the rest of the semester. No more sleeping through a class you thought you might want to take when you looked at its reviews– who are we kidding? You’re still going to be sleeping through lecture, but it’s okay because you’ll totally watch the video of it before you try to do the pset...until you realize it's not taped and you cry your eyes out.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today is starting out cold and is only getting colder. It should stop snowing (for now) by midmorning, but it will be windy and it’s going to feel like -6º by dinnertime. As if we needed another excuse to blow off all our commitments and sit in our rooms.

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch
Bacon and Spinach Pizza on Multigrain Crust
Chicken Fingers
Roasted Vegetable Panini made with Eggplant, Pepper, and Squash

Dinner
Chicken Pot Pie
Home Made Fish Cakes
Sweet and Sour Tofu

ON FLYBY
1) Congrats, Lampoon: Everyone’s least favorite pranksters are at it again with “a decent attempt at humor".
2) Skating through a Winter Wonderland: Ice rink + Science Center Plaza + Winter = Fun

IN THE NEWS
1) Two College Students Dismissed for Sexual Misconduct:  “The Faculty Council dismissed two undergraduates from the College on Dec. 10 for sexual misconduct, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Michael D. Smith said at Tuesday's monthly meeting of the Faculty.”
2) Analysis: Dartmouth’s Hard Alcohol Ban Unlikely To Affect Harvard:  “Responding to news that Dartmouth will soon implement a ban on hard alcohol on campus, Harvard administrators and national experts on alcohol safety said that while they were unsurprised by the new policy at Dartmouth, they expect the changes to have little effect on Harvard College’s recently revised approach to policing alcohol.”
3) Cambridge Residents Raise Concerns about Affordable Housing: “Longtime Cambridge resident Barbara Taggart, who has lived in the city since 1977, shared her observations of the many middle- and low-income residents who have been priced out of the area.”

EVENTS
Hear visiting scholar Phillip Goff, Houston Mayor Annise Parker, and Commissioner of the Philadelphia Police Department Charles Ramsey in Challenges to Democracy: The Future of Policing discuss policing at the JFK Jr. Forum at 6:00pm.

Harvard College Engineering Society is hosting a Khan Academy Info Session in Pierce 209 to talk about data science and engineering for the educational website. Software developer Eliana Feasley will be speaking at 6:00pm.

Let's Talk Harvard #BlackLivesMatter Kick-Off Dinner is co-hosted by PBHA and IOP tonight. This dinner will foster discussion about the necessity of advocacy. The #Blacklivesmatter organizers on campus and Professor Phillip Goff will be in attendance to talk with undergraduates about the movement. Dinner is from 7:15-8:30 p.m. at the IOP.

Hansel and Gretel, presented in Agassiz Theatre at 7:30 p.m. tonight Student tickets are only $10 at the Box Office.

Come to the Kates-Tobin room in Quincy House at 7:30 for the i3 Kickoff. Learn about the innovation challenge for 2015 and meet present and past participants.

Harvard Thinks Big is tonight! Hear renowned professors share their ideas to change the world at 8 p.m. in Sanders. Pick up free tickets in the Box Office!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
“To be able...to reason through these challenging subjects is a big part of what it is lawyers do in our society,” Law professor Jeannie C. Suk said at a panel on whether rape law should be taught in law classes on Wednesday in Pound Hall.The well-attended event featured several students sitting on the floor.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.