BRIEF: Softball Wins First Spring Trip Game, Splits Wednesday Double-Header

By Eileen Storey, Crimson Staff Writer

After three consecutive games scoring no runs, the Harvard women’s softball team exploded for twelve runs in two games on Wednesday afternoon. Although the Crimson (4-10) fell to Buffalo (7-17), the team defeated Loyola Marymount (15-20) to earn its first win on its annual spring break trip to California.

Senior second baseman Katie Lantz powered Harvard’s offense with six hits in seven at-bats, including a home run and two doubles, boosting her slugging percentage to a team-leading .641.

HARVARD 5, LOYOLA MARYMOUNT 3

The Crimson loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the third inning eager to retake the lead after the Lions evened the score in the bottom of the second. Two quick outs on a fly ball and fielder’s choice threatened to ruin Harvard’s chances of scoring and continue the team’s difficulty capitalizing with runners on base.

But sophomore third baseman Catherine Callaway came through with a two-out, base-clearing double to give the Crimson a 4-1 lead. Senior first baseman Adrienne Hume added a single to score Callaway and make the game 5-1. Harvard’s four-run third inning matched its scoring total in five games this past weekend.

Senior Laura Ricciardone scattered three runs and six hits over five innings and sophomore Taylor Cabe pitched two shutout innings in relief to preserve the Crimson lead.

BUFFALO 10, HARVARD 7

Although the Crimson jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning, the Bulls took advantage of a series of Harvard defensive errors in the second inning to score four unearned runs with two outs. Buffalo managed to hold the lead in an offensive game that saw the two teams combine for seventeen runs and twenty-five hits.

Lantz and senior catcher Katherine Appelbe combined for six hits, five runs scored, and two runs batted in, but their offensive efforts were not enough to lift the Crimson over Buffalo and end the team’s five-game losing streak.

The Bulls added to its early lead against relief pitcher Gabrielle Ruiz. Buffalo’s junior third baseman Lauren Gambone hit a three-run home run off of the senior from Tucson, AZ in the fourth inning to extend the Bulls’ lead.

The Crimson staged a late comeback in the team’s final at-bat in the seventh inning, scoring three runs and bringing the tying run to the plate. But senior left fielder Andrea Del Conte fouled out with runners at the corners to end Harvard’s rally and the game.

—Staff writer Eileen P. Story can be reached at estorey@college.harvard.edu.

Sports BriefsSoftball