Harvard Today: April 14, 2015

•
Activists of "Harvard Heat Week" put up a poster on the side of Massachusetts Hall on Monday morning.

Happy Tuesday! Spring has officially (and finally) arrived. How do you want to celebrate the beginning of spring? Why not observe National Pecan Day? Celebrate this little-known holiday by baking pecan pies, eating raw pecans, consume butter pecan ice cream, dress up as a pecan!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Spring has officially arrived! That means, instead of snow, we get rain (for better or for worse). Today, it’s going to be raining all day long. With highs of 69 degrees and lows of 45 degrees, however, it’s going to be another lovely warm day!

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Bacon & Spinach Pizza on Multigrain Crust

Roasted Honey Lime Chicken

Pepper, Onion & Cheese Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust

Dinner:

Blackened Flounder

Mexican Chicken

Creamy Chilaquile Casserole

IN THE NEWS

1) Public Health School Dean Named University of Miami President: “After six years as dean of the Harvard School of Public Health, Julio Frenk will leave Harvard to serve as president of the University of Miami.”

2) UC Votes Down Act To Publicize Divest Harvard Events: “The Undergraduate Council at its general meeting on Sunday voted down a piece of legislation that would have allowed activist group Divest Harvard to publicize its “Heat Week” events scheduled for this week through the UC’s email list.”

3) Calling for Divestment, Protesters Blockade Mass. Hall: “Members and supporters of the activist group Divest Harvard began a planned blockade of three entrances to Massachusetts Hall on Sunday and were still rallying outside the building in protest of Harvard’s investment in fossil fuel companies late that evening.”

4) Ed School Has Raised $145 Million in Capital Campaign: “The Harvard Graduate School of Education has raised $145 million in its capital campaign, amounting to 58 percent of its goal of $250 million, according to Daphne Layton, the Ed School's senior associate dean for development and alumni relations.”

EVENTS

Today is Ben & Jerry’s Free Cone Day! Ben & Jerry’s will be serving free ice cream from midday to 8 p.m. Be sure to stop by!

Today is the Israeli Soldiers Tour, featuring a discussion about the Israel Defense Forces with two Israeli soldiers, Lital and Elad. Lital served in combat, and Elad served in Coordination of Government Activities in the Territories, a unit charged with providing humanitarian aid to Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza. A falafel lunch will be served as well. This event will be at Harvard Hillel at 11:30 a.m.

Today is Harvard Fights for $15, a rally for economic justice. The Harvard community is coming together outside the Harvard T station before joining thousands of students, workers, and members of faith and community organizations for the city-wide rally. RSVP here!

Today the JFK Jr. Forum is hosting US-China Under Xi Jinping: From Strategic Collision to Common Purpose featuring Kevin Rudd, the prime minister of Australia, Anthony Saich, the director of the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation at HKS, Meghan L. O’Sullivan, the Jeane Kirkpatrick Professor of the Practice of International Affairs at HKS, and Graham T. Allison, the moderator. This event is at 6 p.m.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.