Why Don't We Have Marathon Monday Off? All the Other Kids Do

•
Runners push through the course as they come off Heartbreak Hill with five miles to go to the finish line.

A guy in my section is a cross-registered student at MIT. Last week, the two of us were discussing the upcoming course schedule, and he noticed that class would not be cancelled the day of the Boston Marathon. This puzzled him. Did Harvard not have the day off?  We answered in the negative. Horrified surprise ensued.

Needless to say, my MIT friend was not in class Monday morning. I was, however, and at all the rest of my classes that day as well. Because Harvard, unlike other universities and public schools in town, has declined to let its students have the day off.

Did the brave men of Harvard drive off the British so that we students could spend Patriots’ Day sitting inside studying? I think not. Not your best move, Harvard.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit my case for cancelling class doesn’t stand up to much cross-examination. Would I do any work if class were cancelled? No. Would I take advantage of the time to watch the whole Boston Marathon? Of course not; the race starts before nine. Have I ever been to the Boston Marathon? No again. Would I actually go to the marathon? Honestly, no. Would I spend the whole day drinking and hanging out with friends? It’s within the realm of possibility, I’ll admit.

But none of that matters. Harvard needs to give us the day off anyway. Because as long as they don’t, people like my buddy at MIT will keep coming in on the Tuesday after Patriots’ Day to tell future generations of Harvard students how much fun the marathon was, and what a terrible shame it was we missed it, and how he guesses there is always next year.

Let us go see the marathon, Harvard.

Or, you know, you can just give us a different day off. That’d be just as good.

Student LifeFlyby BlogBoston MarathonMITharvard problems

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.