Harvard Today: April 23, 2015

•
“In the face of so much hate let’s show how deeply we love,” said the Harvard Law Women’s Law Association President Kenyon D. Colli at a vigil for Africans Wednesday evening. Here, students light each other’s candles before singing “Amazing Grace.” The Harvard African Law Association hosted the event in response to recent killings across the continent.

“In the face of so much hate let’s show how deeply we love,” said the Harvard Law Women’s Law Association President Kenyon D. Colli at a vigil for Africans Wednesday evening. Here, students light each other’s candles before singing “Amazing Grace.” The Harvard African Law Association hosted the event in response to recent killings across the continent. By Sidni M. Frederick

Happy Thursday, Harvard! One day until Yardfest! Fingers crossed that you have no sections tomorrow, but if you do, hopefully your TF will understand when you skip to watch the concert. At least it’s late enough in the semester that your absence will either be so expected or so out of character that no one will freak.

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch

Chicken and Swiss Melt on Whole Wheat Panini
Pepperoni Pizza
Tofu Scramble

Dinner

Chicken Francais
Emerald Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Curry Noodle Stirfry

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
The morning is going to start out sunny (but kind of cold — only 50º), but it’s going to be cloudy and windy by the middle of the afternoon.

ON FLYBY
1) PSA: 24-Hour Clover Opening in Central Square — Thank goodness for new late-night food options!

2) A Prefrosh's Guide to Yardfest — For our early Visitas arrivals!

IN THE NEWS
1) Civil Rights Office Interviews Students for Title IX Probe —
“Attorneys from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights are soliciting student input on sexual violence on Harvard’s campus this week as part of the government’s nearly year-long investigation into the College’s compliance with anti-sex discrimination law Title IX.”

2) Law School Still Awaits Government Sign-Off on Title IX — “More than two months after receiving initial feedback on its Title IX procedures from the federal Office for Civil Rights, Harvard Law School has still not received final sign-off from OCR on its updated draft of those procedures, according to Law School spokesperson Robb London.”

3) Hollister Named CFO and VP for Finance — “Harvard named Boston banker Thomas J. Hollister the new chief financial officer and vice president for finance on Wednesday, concluding a months-long search for the new executive.”

4) Harvard Celebrates Sustainability with Earth Day Fair — “Vendors from in and around Cambridge, including the Little Free Library and Book Exchange, Hubway, and Next Step Living, set up shop on the Science Center Plaza on Wednesday afternoon to promote sustainable living.”

5) Yardfest Will Be Closed to Most Visiting Prefrosh — “Most admitted members of the Class of 2019 will not be allowed entrance into Yardfest on Friday, despite their revisit weekend beginning the next day.”

ON SPORTS
1) Baseball Gives up Eight Unearned in 13-10 Loss to Eagles —
“Wednesday afternoon was a dream come true for two Harvard baseball players from Massachusetts. Senior second baseman Jake McGuiggan and freshman right fielder Conor Quinn both hit two-run home runs over the Green Monster at legendary Fenway Park, but the four runs proved not to be enough as the Crimson fell to Northeastern, 7-6.”

2) Golf Teams Travel to Bethlehem Seeking Titles — “The Harvard men and women’s golf teams will be travelling to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania for the Ivy League Golf Championship this weekend. Having performed well in their recent tournaments these past few weeks, both squads are serious contenders for the championship.”

EVENTS
Food and Farming —
A Conversation with Italian Farmerchef Lorenzo Polegri. Discussing a chef’s ethics in the 21st century at 4:30 p.m. at the OCS. RSVP on Crimson Careers.

Spring Data Summit — Harvard Data Ventures is hosting a speaker series about how data gives us an edge and creates progress. 6:45 p.m. in Science Center A.

Mock Interviews with Goldman Sachs — Professionals are helping freshman, sophomores, and juniors work on their interview skills at 7 p.m.. Register online at https://harvard.ventfull.com/p/Lb5TbD

On Being Palestinian in a Jewish State — Haneen Zoabi will be speaking in Yenching at 7 p.m. about being Palestinian in Israel. Tickets are $5 with an HUID at the box office.

Wastelanders — Email froshical2015@gmail.com to reserve tickets to the freshman musical! 7:30 p.m. in the Adams Pool Theatre.

The Maids — Being performed at the Loeb Experimental Theatre at 8 p.m. Reserve tickets at maidsintheex@gmail.com.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.