HUDS Expands Yardfest Sustainability Efforts

By Samuel E. Stone, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard University Dining Services is increasing focus on sustainability at this year's Yardfest, the College’s outdoor concert headlined by Jessie J, with a buffet featuring completely compostable dishware in an effort to reduce waste at the event.

According to HUDS spokesperson Crista Martin, the dining service has eliminated aluminum soda cans from the offerings and offering a "‘hydration station’ of infused waters and agua frescas, all of which are served in compostable cups.”

“We offer the meal as a buffet, which limits waste and packaging, and serve it on compostable disposables,” she said.

In addition to providing sustainable dishware, the College Events Board, which organizes Yardfest, worked with HUDS to develop a menu consisting of environmentally-friendly food, according to Dakota D. Santana-Grace ’16, co-chair of the CEB.

The menu, which was released by the CEB via email on Thursday, will consist of burgers, Caesar salad, pasta salad, ice cream sandwiches, and agua frescas.

Santana-Grace added that the food and beverages were the primary environmental concerns associated with the event, which will be hosted in Tercentenary Theater on Friday afternoon.

“In terms of the actual event, we have low waste levels, since most of it is reusable,” he said. “The electronics that we bring are reusable, and the gates that we put up around the Yard are used for other events.”

—Staff writer Samuel E. Stone can be reached at samuel.stone@thecrimson.com.

CollegeStudent GroupsStudent LifeCollege AdministrationCollege LifeHUDSHarvard YardYardfestCollege NewsSustainability