Wrestling Fights Storm, Brings Wins Back to Cambridge

By Jamie Chen, Crimson Staff Writer

As Winter Storm Jonas rolled in across the East Coast, the Harvard wrestling team’s plans to take on Franklin & Marshall (3-10, 0-6 EIWA) and Bucknell (6-5, 2-2) over the weekend remained unclear throughout the week. On Thursday, the team was finally notified that it would travel that day to Lancaster, PA, and wrestle both matches a day earlier than previously scheduled.

In spite of the hectic schedule, difficult traveling conditions, and automatic forfeits from injuries, the Crimson (4-2, 2-1) returned safely to campus with two decisive wins.

“We weren’t sure when we were going to wrestle or if we were going to get to wrestle at all, so from all that to come away with two wins was really exciting for everybody,” co-captain Patrick Hogan said.

HARVARD 26, BUCKNELL 21

Last year, Harvard suffered a 26-9 defeat at the hands of the Bison. This time around, with renewed energy this year, the team started off strong and turned the tables to eke out a victory.

With a forfeit due to an injury at 125, the Crimson started off at a 6-0 deficit.

Harvard claimed the next five matches, bumping the Crimson to a 26-6 lead.

“Bucknell is a tough team, but I think we just got off to a really good start,” Hogan said. “We had a ton of energy coming off the bench and everyone was very excited about the performance right off the bat.”

At 141, senior co-captain Todd Preston had a rematch against Bucknell sophomore Tyler Smith. Coming off a loss the day before against his Franklin & Marshall opponent, Preston came back for a critical pin with only ten seconds left on the clock.

“I only beat [Smith] three nothing last year, but this year I was actually able to step over on his shot and secure the pin,” Preston said. “Having a clear head, no worries, being able to put adversity aside and get back to basics really helped.”

Junior Jeffrey Ott and senior Devon Gobbo also contributed a pin, while Hogan held off his opponent for a decision victory and sophomore Tyler Tarsi won in a technical fail.

Although the Bison took the next four matchups in three decision victories and a forfeit at 285, the Crimson’s critical pins allowed Harvard to maintain an advantage and end the day with a comeback win.

“To be able to pull out a win like that yesterday, giving up two forfeits, that’s huge,” Preston said. “Being down 12 points right out the gun, you know that everyone has to do their best to help the team…. It’s not normal in college wrestling to be able to get four or five pins, but we did it.”

HARVARD 32, FRANKLIN &MARSHALL 18

With a 0-6 disadvantage, Ott started off the matchup on Friday with a clean pin only 44 seconds into his match at 133. In the next match, however, Preston was unable to escape his opponent’s hold and fell to No. 15 Franklin & Marshall junior Richard Durso.

“It was tough to lose, but it was good to know that I definitely have things to work on especially looking forward to the next few months,” Preston said.

With the Crimson trailing the Diplomats 9-6, freshman Thomas Dutton took to the mat. Less than two minutes in, the New York native pinned Franklin & Marshall junior Jason Bing, putting Harvard in the lead 12-9.

The Crimson claimed the next three matchups as junior Colby Knight pinned his opponent, Gobbo won in a technical fail, and sophomore Josef Johnson took home a decision victory.

Harvard solidified a 10-point lead with its fourth pin of the day from senior Josh Popple. The Diplomats’ last two wins were not enough to close the gap, and Harvard took home the victory.

“Everyone really knows the technique that we’re supposed to do, so it’s really about getting the stuff in practice consistently in every match,” Hogan said.“I think that showed this weekend, and it really paid off.”

Wrestling