At Vigil, Students Mourn Hurricane Mathew Victims

By Akshitha Ramachandran and Katherine E. Wang, Contributing Writers

Hurricane Matthew has hit the Caribbean and parts of the Mid-Atlantic region hard, and while far from the storm, Harvard has felt its effect as well.

On Thursday evening, a group of Harvard students gathered on the steps of Memorial Church for a candlelight vigil to honor those affected by the storm.

Students gave emotional speeches about the deadly consequences of the storm. Abena N. Oworae ’19 led the group in prayer, and the Kuumba Singers concluded the night in music with “Hold on Just a Little While Longer.”

John A. N. Matthews ’19 speaks about Haiti’s resilience at a vigil for the victims of Hurricane Matthew, hosted by the Global Mental Health Coalition.
John A. N. Matthews ’19 speaks about Haiti’s resilience at a vigil for the victims of Hurricane Matthew, hosted by the Global Mental Health Coalition. By Grace Z. Li

So far, Hurricane Matthew has led to the loss of at least 34 lives in the United States and more than 500 in Haiti, according to the Associated Press. Initial estimates put the cost of the hurricane’s damage at close to $10 billion.

Daniela Muhleisen ’19, who organized the vigil, began the evening by explaining the storm. “Hurricane Matthew swept through the Caribbean, leaving destruction in its wake in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, in the Dominican Republic, in Cuba, and especially in Haiti, where cholera cases have been on the rise and another crisis is imminent,” she said.

While the storm hit far from Cambridge, some students have been personally affected by the storm. Stephanie Dufresne ’20 said her family has felt the hurricane’s impact. “I have family that lives in Haiti and my dad was also visiting Haiti at the time,” she said. “Especially my mother’s side, they were affected the most because they live in a town called Jeremie and it’s close to the water.”

Haiti also suffered significant damage from an earthquake in 2010. Dufresne noted that the latest natural disaster came while the country was still recovering. “People are still trying to recuperate from the damages from the earthquake and not a lot of these people have enough money and resources in order to get a new home as quickly as possible,” she said.

John Matthews ’19, social and outreach chair of the Caribbean Club at Harvard, offered words of support and comfort for those affected at Harvard. He urged those who felt overwhelmed or required emotional support to reach out to the organization. “We are here for you, just as we are here for Haiti,” he said at the vigil.

The emotional highpoint of the vigil came when attendees brought candles to the steps of Memorial Church and lit each others’ wicks. They gathered solemnly in a circle, comforting one another.

Muhleisen concluded the vigil by urging attendees not to feel pity but to pray for strength among those affected.

“There are so many ways to pray. We gather here today to do so. For those who have lost their lives, their homes, their families, and their friends. We are coming together to honor their resilience and to extend our thoughts and and our prayers.”

CollegeStudent GroupsStudent LifeCollege LifeCollege NewsWeather