Thousands Protest Trump in Boston

A protester marches down Boylston Street in Boston on Wednesday evening as part of a rally against the presidential election of Donald Trump. Thousands of people gathered at the Boston Common to express their frustration.
By Lauren A. Sierra, Contributing Writer

Thousands of people, many of them students, poured into the streets of downtown Boston Wednesday night to protest Donald Trump’s victory in the 2016 presidential election.

In an upset, Trump won several key swing states and defeated Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee and expected winner, to become the President-elect of the United States. The Boston branch of Socialist Alternative, a national community activism organization, organized the rally, publicizing it through a Facebook event.

“Donald Trump is the next President of the United States. We need to immediately start fighting against him,” the Facebook event reads. “We need to build a movement to fight racism, sexism, and Islamophobia.”

A protester marches down Boylston Street in Boston on Wednesday evening as part of a rally against the presidential election of Donald Trump. Thousands of people gathered at the Boston Common to express their frustration. By Lauren A. Sierra

Hundreds of police officers converged on downtown on Boston as protesters chanted “Not my president,” “No justice, no peace,” and other protest slogans. Some traveled across state lines for the event.

Denise Molina, a student, traveled from Manchester, N.H., to participate.

“Trump is against everything I stand for,” Molina said as she wrapped herself in a Mexican flag.

The rally began at Parkman Bandstand in Boston Common, where protesters gathered around the stand to chant and listen to speakers. The protesters then marched through the Common towards the Massachusetts State House, turning onto the streets surrounding the Common and Public Garden, which Boston police blocked off.

Many protesters carried posters reading “Love trumps hate,” “End sexism and racism,” and “Respect existence or expect resistance.” Many participants voiced concerns about the policy changes Trump could make as President, including on climate change, immigration policies, and race relations.

Other protesters said they worried Trump could limit women’s reproductive rights. Many chanted “My body, my rights” and held posters with statements such as“women’s rights are human rights.”

Brian Pu Ruiz and Nicolas Buonanduci held hands and wore clothing expressing BGLTQ pride as they marched down Tremont Street. They each said they were worried about Trump and his running mate Mike Pence’s values, citing Pence’s views on BGLTQ people, particularly those who are transgender, as a main concern.

On campus Wednesday, many students expressed concerns similar to those of the protesters in Boston. Several Houses held events for students to come together to discuss the election results and offer emotional support to one another other. Some professors offered assignment extensions or postponed exams to allow students to process the election results.

PoliticsBostonProtestsMetro2016 Election