First-Time College Voters Anticipating Election

A Daytime Van Service vehicle displays a "Remember to Vote" message. In the run up to the Presidential Elections, Harvard Shuttles have been seen around campus alternating between their destinations and a reminder to vote.
By Andrew J. Zucker, Contributing Writer

First-time Harvard voters in the U.S. presidential election say this year’s controversial candidates have both motivated and dampened their enthusiasm to vote Tuesday.

Citizens must be at least 18 years old to vote, and, for many on Harvard’s campus, this year marks the first time they’re eligible to vote in a presidential election. Students can vote absentee in their home states, or can register to vote in Massachusetts.

A Daytime Van Service vehicle displays a "Remember to Vote" message. In the run up to the Presidential Elections, Harvard Shuttles have been seen around campus alternating between their destinations and a reminder to vote. By Megan M. Ross

According to Institute of Politics Vice President Austin E. Sowa ’17, nearly 1,400 students registered to vote during the College’s online check-in process in August.

“Every single undergraduate was afforded the opportunity to register to vote or request absentee ballots in all 50 states through that process this fall,” Sowa said.

Joshua B. Kuppersmith ’19 said he is enthusiastic about voting for the first time because he believes it is his civic responsibility.

“I think it’s our duty as citizens,” he said. “This is our main chance to determine the future of our nation, and so we have to take advantage of that duty if we want to control the direction that our nation is heading in.”

In The Crimson’s recent election survey, just over half of survey respondents voting for Republican candidate Donald Trump or Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton said their preferred candidate was trustworthy—52 percent and 56 percent, respectively. Some first-time voters said their lack of confidence in the candidates has affected their decisions.

“I think like at times I’ve rotated between the two candidates out of dislike for both of them,” Kanon F. Dean ’18 said. “I’m an independent voter, so I don’t think I’ve made up my mind yet.”

Jullian A. Duran ’18 also said he doesn’t have much enthusiasm for a particular candidate. Instead, he said, he feels an obligation to prevent a Trump victory.

"I’m not as motivated I guess to vote for Hillary as much as I am to vote against Trump," he said. "As a Hispanic male, obviously, and as an immigrant... there are issues I take with the things he says.”

While preventing a Trump presidency motivates some students, others, like Sarah K. Murphy ’18, voiced strong support for Clinton.

“I've always like thought well of Secretary Clinton,” she said. “There's a very clear divide between a candidate who cares about student issues, women's issues, making sure that the country works for everyone, and Donald Trump.”

With less than one week left until the election, voter registration has ended in most states, and Sowa said the IOP’s efforts are now focused on educating voters about the candidates and making sure students know where to vote on Election Day.

Student GroupsStudent LifePolitics2016 Election