Men's Hockey Reaches NCAA Tournament, Will Play BC in Worcester

Harvard and Boston College will square off in the opening round of the NCAA tournament Friday night at the DCU Center.
Harvard and Boston College will square off in the opening round of the NCAA tournament Friday night at the DCU Center. By Thomas W. Franck
By Jake Meagher, Crimson Staff Writer

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. — The No. 9/9 Harvard men's hockey team has received the third seed in the Northeast Regional of the NCAA tournament. The 16-team field was announced Sunday afternoon, and it pins the Crimson against No. 5/4 Boston College on Friday night (8 p.m.) at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass.

The winner will play either No. 3/3 Providence or No. 16/15 Minnesota Duluth in the regional championship game on Saturday with a trip to the Frozen Four in Tampa, Fla., on the line.

Harvard has squared off against the Eagles once already this year. The two sides met in the opening round of the Beanpot—a game won, 3-2, by Boston College.

Elsewhere in the field, No. 1/1 Quinnipiac earned the top overall seed and will play in the East Regional in Albany, N.Y. No. 10/11 Yale earned the third seed in the same region, meaning that the two sides could potentially square off in an all-ECAC regional final on Saturday.

Meanwhile, all four Beanpot particpants made the tournament, making up 25 percent of the entire field. No. 11/10 Boston University will play in the West Regional in St. Paul, Minn., while No. 14/14 Northeastern will play in the Midwest Regional in Cincinnati, Ohio.

—Staff writer Jake Meagher can be reached at jake.meagher@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @MeagherTHC.

Men's Ice Hockey