Artistic Guide to Harvard: Sunny Study Spots

By Victoria E. Sanchez, Crimson Staff Writer

The sun has finally decided to show up, icy winds are becoming warm breezes, and allergies are making themselves known: It’s spring. Unfortunately, the break in the weather does not come with a break in schoolwork, but that’s no reason not to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. If there’s one thing that can be found everywhere at Harvard, it’s study spots—indoors and out.

The Perch

Situated on either side of the main staircase up to Widener, these twin ledges offer central locations to study, convenient for the times between classes. These spots also sport an encompassing view of Tercentenary Theatre, which is, in fact, not a theater at all but rather an expanse of lawn. Nevertheless, studying on the perch is a refreshing way to become one with nature. Watch tourists stare in awe at a library; watch your friends sprint to their next class while you peacefully finish your readings. Reserve early morning and late night perching for the work that requires laptops to avoid sun glare.

Due to all the distraction, the perch may not be ideal for concentration. Luckily, Widener also has a nice bench area below the perch on Weld’s side that you should definitely check out.

Dudley Garden

A hidden gem behind Lamont Library, Dudley Garden is a perfect place for focus. Next to the birthplace of Lamonsters, this prince among study spots brings joy to a place with little to offer. Containing archaic attributes like a sundial (Never lose track of time again!) and a historical plaque, Dudley Garden proves no one in New England can resist reminding us how old everything is. But there are more useful amenities: a surprisingly comfy stone bench engraved with a Bradstreet quote and a white-noise mix of nature sounds and traffic noises from just outside the brick wall. Just the fact that it’s a garden is enough to go. The tree shade provides sweet relief from the heat so you can still enjoy the spring air.

And for those who would prefer for everyone in the world to know they are studying, there’s a nice lawn in front of Lamont, which is always nice and sunny.

Et Cetera

For those studying English, there’s the Enclave, a small semi-circle stone bench just inside the gates coming toward the Barker Center from Lamont Library. It’s a perfect place to catch a quick skim on your section reading so you don’t sound completely unprepared. For the science-lovers among us, Greenhouse Cafe’s outside seating is a lovely place to grab a bite and provide your eyes relief between lectures in the aesthetically appalling Science Center halls. The Inn also has a nice spot in front, if you’re the type who listens to a traffic noise simulator while studying. If you enjoy being severely intellectually outclassed, the area in front of Lehman Dudley House (and Café Gato Rojo) always has a nice set of tables up once the weather settles permanently into warmth. Of course, we can never forget the Yard, or “None of the People Relaxing on This Grass Actually Go Here, I Swear.”

—Staff writer Victoria E. Sanchez can be reached at victoria.sanchez@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCultureCulture Front Feature