Sailors Chart Course for 2020 Olympics

Seniors Marek Zaleski and Andrew Mollerus have taken different sailing paths, but they now share the same ambition: to sail professionally and make the Olympics. In both cases, they are aided by families that boast serious experience with the sport and push Zaleski and Mollerus to competitive excellence.
Seniors Marek Zaleski and Andrew Mollerus have taken different sailing paths, but they now share the same ambition: to sail professionally and make the Olympics. In both cases, they are aided by families that boast serious experience with the sport and push Zaleski and Mollerus to competitive excellence. By Daniel M. Lynch
By Kayla R Hollingsworth, Crimson Staff Writer

In general sailing is not a spectator sport. Races can take place far offshore, and any spectators who show up face the possibility of seaside breezes and brooding clouds.

But every four years, sailors come under the wide world’s gaze when they compete for a gold medal at the Olympics. This year, two graduating seniors are gunning for a place in the global spotlight as they prepare to leave Harvard and train for international competition.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON

“A lot of people don’t necessarily realize how intense a sport sailing can be,” senior Marek Zaleski said. “Especially in classes as physical as the 49er and the laser, whoever works the hardest and is the fittest generally is the person who wins.”

Despite these physical challenges, sailing was something that Zaleski always knew that he wanted to do. He practically grew up on the water, spending time in a baby carrier on his dad’s chest while his dad steered the boat.

Starting when he was six, Marek began competing in Optimists, a class of dinghies. He moved up to bigger boats at the age of 12, which was when he fell in love with the laser.

Consisting of one sail, one sailor, and 14 feet of sleek design, the laser represents the purest form of sailing, one that requires impeccable technique to steer. Such a challenge appealed to Zaleski, perhaps because a willingness to confront difficulties head-on ran in his family.

Zaleski’s parents were born and raised in Poland. His mom immigrated to the United States first, carrying 25 dollars, a backpack, and nothing else. Less than two years later, his dad followed suit after his mom managed to obtain immigration papers with the assistance of an Oklahoma congresswoman.

Reunited in an unfamiliar country, the couple built their own businesses from the ground up. In this way, Zaleski gradually learned from his parents what sustained hard work and success looked like.

With such mentors in his life, Zaleski doesn’t shy away from the arduous road to the Olympics. As Zaleski explained, he quickly realized that there was a potential to do something special, namely to achieve success in a serious way and leave a mark on the sport.

Zaleski hopes to do so at the 2020 Olympics through the laser class, a race that includes 50 nations. Each country has its own selection process to determine which boat will compete.

After graduating on May 26th and competing at college nationals, Marek will fly to Europe for two months of training with the Polish national team. The process will include international races in January in New Zealand, Australia, and other locations early in the year.

Returning to Poland in the winter, Zaleski will start the sailing season in March.

Then, at least for Zaleski, it’s rinse and repeat for the next four years.

One of Zaleski’s chief concerns at the moment is how he’s going to finance such a long training goal. There is also the possibility that his leap of faith into professional sailing and future effort ultimately won’t lead the positive results that feature in his dreams.

Yet the uncertainty of the coming years doesn’t seem to faze the graduating senior.

“I truly believe that [it] is a sign of strength not weakness - to have dedicated your life to something for four years and [given] your heart and soul to working hard in perfecting something you love,” Zaleski said. “If anything this will be a great life experience.”

THE BOND OF BROTHERS

“A lot of people don’t completely understand how technical sailing can be,” Harvard captain Andrew Mollerus said. “Constantly changing external conditions really affect the internal dynamic in a boat. And that doesn’t even factor in the specifics of each class of boat.”

Like Zaleski, Mollerus started figuring out these dynamics at an early age. Sailing was something that he wanted to do since roughly age 10, and as college progressed, he became increasingly certain that he wanted to sail professionally.

Certainly, he deliberated back and forth. But as he recalled, he eventually persuaded himself by recognizing just how much he loved the sport—and how difficult it would be to give it up completely.

There was no one race or result that convinced Mollerus that sailing full-time was a good choice. Instead, it was his daily passion and happiness on the water with the Harvard team that made the decision for him.

After graduating this year, Mollerus plans to sail part-time with his younger brother, Matthew While Matthew is finishing out his last year of college, Andrew will be aiming to get a masters degree in statistics.

Then, once Matthew leaves college, the brothers will begin to sail full-time together towards their goal, which is to win enough races and outcompete enough rivals to qualify for the 2020 Olympics in the 49er class.

With faith that the wind will eventually blow their way, the two expect to live together and train together.

“We are more than married,” the older Mollerus said. “But after having known each other our entire lives, we have this knowledge that no matter what happens between us, it will always work out.”

Midway through high school, after sailing separately for some time and competing in different classes, the brothers decided to team up. They wanted to sail together—and so they did.

Joining as a unit gave the Mollerus boys a competitive advantage, as any successful sailing pair must be able to know each other’s habits and coordinate seamlessly.

In many cases, however, it’s difficult to find a long-term sailing partner due to financial and performance pressures. Additionally, different sailors have different technical sailing knowledge, and all duos must find a class of boat that suits both sailors’ experience and maximizes their joint understanding.

By sailing with each other, the Mollerus brothers intimately know each other’s backgrounds, skill sets, and temperaments. Rather than worrying about social dynamics, they are able to focus exclusively on the two objectives of sailing: speed and tactics.

“People always joke about who your best man would be,” said Andrew. “The thing is, there is no question who my best man is. I already know.”

With this bond, Andrew and Matthew plan to forge ahead towards the Olympics, giving four years of their lives to realize a shared dream—to experience the the highest stage of competition, together.

Sailing