Moral Failure and Familial Relationships in ‘Rick and Morty’

Preview of Season Three Finale

By Courtesy of Adult Swim
By Abdeljaleel Ismail, Contributing Writer

“Wubba Lubba dub-dub” is something we haven’t heard the infamous Rick Sanchez say a lot this season. Looking back, this season is something viewers truly haven’t seen before.

“Rick and Morty” is a show that originally seemed to pander to an audience of high teenagers trying to find food that quenches their munchies in the middle of the night. Regardless of its original intentions, however, “Rick and Morty” has turned into an immense cultural influence.

The show has progressed—particularly in regards to the development of its characters. Morty went from an awkward teen in love with Jessica to an awkward teen in love with Jessica who might take over The Citadel of Ricks. Rick went from being a terrible person and never showing any true emotion, to staying as a terrible person and slightly opening up in a self deprecating way. All jokes aside, the characters and plot have grown immensely.

“The Rickshank Rickdemption” was action-packed and tremendously humorous. It also had szechuan sauce. It quickly set up the thematic darkness that is prevalent throughout the season, along with Rick’s turn from bored genius to insane villain.

As the family went to a therapist in “Pickle Rick,” it became apparent how truly dysfunctional Rick’s family can be. Meanwhile Rick—who has turned himself into the titular Pickle—avoids family therapy just to avoid family interaction. The theme is expanded on in “Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender,” as Rick gets jealous anytime Morty favors one of the Vindicator “superheroes.” Instead of handling his emotions in a mature way, Rick sabotages his family and leads to the deaths of his “friends.”

The show has developed its characters exactly where they need to be and has set itself up for a fantastic season finale. As a viewer of “Rick and Morty” I have learned not to trust, believe, or expect anything relative to the plot, from Bird Person’s fiance Tammy (a secret agent posing as one of Summer’s friends) to Sleepy Gary (a parasite Jerry thought he had a love affair with). One can expect nothing from tonight's season finale, other than originality and greatness—the only thing the show continues to deliver on a regular basis.

ArtsCulture