Seniors ‘Suddenly Have Free Time’ After Thesis Submissions

By Edith M. Herwitz, Crimson Staff Writer

As Harvard College seniors enjoy a burst of free time after handing in hundreds of senior theses, some have turned to developing new hobbies and visiting old friends in their final months as undergraduates.

Since March, seniors across dozens of undergraduate departments and degree programs have submitted theses after months of research, writing, and editing. Some concentrations, such as History and Literature and Social Studies, require students to hand in theses in the spring.

David M. Leeds ’17, one such History and Literature concentrator, said he is relieved to have “finished his biggest assignment of College” after handing in his thesis last month.

Although Leeds said he is still spending time on his other commitments and finalizing post-graduate plans, he is still enjoying the free time.

“I have been able to get involved again, after having to sort of shell off some of my extracurriculars commitments in the last couple weeks before I handed in my thesis,” Leeds said.

Some seniors said they are now able to spend time on new hobbies, ranging from quilting to meditation.

Sociology concentrator Ted J. White ’17 said he has spent many free hours working out, as well as socializing with friends.

“I’m trying to spend more time with people before I graduate, and now I also have more time to go to the gym,” he said.

Social Studies concentrator Chase A. Buchholz ’17, meanwhile, said he has taken on meditation in order to improve his mental health.

“I'm slowly getting into meditation—with some extra time just centering myself mentally is really helpful for rowing and for my own personal mental health.” Buchholz said. “It's been a really good outlet.”

And History and Science concentrator Jade Y. Moon ’17 has begun making quilts, which to her surprise, Moon says she enjoys.

“I have a friend who introduced me to quilting. I never thought I would be into it before, but now I have the time to try it and it's actually a lot of fun,” Moon said.

But some seniors are less intentional with their post-thesis schedules, such as Classics concentrator David F. Clifton ’17. Clifton said finishing his thesis was a “huge relief,” and that he has less concrete plans for the remainder of the semester.

“I suddenly have free time. I don’t even know what to do with my time, which is great,” he said.

—Staff writer Edith M. Herwitz can be reached at edith.herwitz@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @edith_herwitz.

CollegeStudent LifeCollege Life