Men’s Tennis Has Strong Start to Season at Chowder Fest

Harvard seen in action during its annual Chowderfest. The Crimson hosted teams from around the Northeast for its season opener.
Harvard seen in action during its annual Chowderfest. The Crimson hosted teams from around the Northeast for its season opener. By Matthew W DeShaw
By Jamie Chen, Crimson Staff Writer

This past weekend, the Harvard men’s tennis team opened its fall play with the annual Chowder Fest tournament at home. The Crimson hosted Buffalo, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin at the Beren Tennis Center throughout the three-day tournament.

Wisconsin senior Josef Dodridge was the singles champion, with Harvard co-Captain Kenny Tao finishing as the runner-up in singles, with a 2-1 record for the weekend. On the doubles side, Dodridge and his partner Wisconsin senior Chema Carranza claimed the championship, with the Crimson’s junior Christopher Morrow and sophomore Logan Weber as the runner-up doubles pair with a 2-2 record.

“It was great getting back into the season and opening up with a strong weekend,” Tao said. “I was a bit shaky going in because I hadn’t played much all summer, but this definitely boosted my confidence and set a tone for the rest of the season.”

DAY THREE

On Sunday, the Crimson won five of its eight singles matches, with victories coming from Tao, senior Jean Thirouin, Lee, Weber, and senior Xavier Gonzalez. Tao defeated Wisconsin junior Osgar O’Hoisin in Flight 1 in straight sets to earn the title of singles runner-up.

Lee had a rollercoaster game against his Buffalo opponent, taking the first set, dropping the second, and winning the third. Weber also had a three-set battle against a Buffalo opponent, coming from behind to win 2-1.

On the doubles side, Harvard won three of its five matches. Morrow and Weber beat out their Notre Dame opponents 6-4, while senior Grant Solomon and junior Sam Beren handily defeated their Notre Dame opponents 6-1. Lee took to the court for doubles as well with junior Michael Peters, and the pair overcame their Buffalo opponents 6-4.

The freshmen had the opportunity to gain some valuable game time in doubles play. Tao partnered with rookie Lucas Koelle, barely giving up the doubles point 7-5. Thirouin and freshman Robertas Wrzesinksi also had a close match against their Wisconsin opponents, ending 7-5 as well.

“As a team it was good seeing the freshmen in action for the first time,” Beren said, “Everyone was excited to compete after a long summer of working on our games.”

DAY TWO

On Saturday, of the 10 singles matches that the Crimson played, Harvard took home two wins. Tao defeated his Wisconsin opponent in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, and Weber rallied after dropping the first set to take the next two sets form his Wisconsin opponent.

Solomon, put up a fight against his Wisconsin opponent, falling by only 7-6, 7-5. Beren also came back in the second set of his match after dropping the first setbut was ultimately unable to come back.

The Crimson also played 10 doubles matches, with four pairs playing two matches each. Morrow and Weber again took home a win for Harvard, eking out a win over their Wisconsin opponents 8-7, but fell to another Wisconsin pair 8-2.

Thirouin and Peters also split their two matches, beating out a Wisconsin duo 9-8, but falling to a Buffalo pair 8-4. Tao and Koelle teamed up for two matches as well, giving up both to their Wisconsin opponents.

Beren alone won both the doubles matches he played in. Against a Notre Dame duo, Beren teamed up with Andrew Ball to claim the victory 8-5. Beren and Wrzesinksi also took home an 8-5 win later that day against a Wisconsin duo.

“It felt good. It was the first time my family has come to watch me play so it was really fun playing well in front of them,” Beren said.

DAY ONE

Friday afternoon marked the first day of the tournament and the Crimson squad’s first competitive play this season.

Eight singles players took to the courts, with rookies Koelle and Wrzesinski, Morrow, Solomon, and Lee all taking home wins. “Overall our team is looking good. Our freshmen are very talented and we have a lot to work with,” Tao said.

Tao, Beren, and Thirouin all fell to their opponents in close three-set matchups.

On the doubles side, Harvard claimed two wins. Tao and Koelle earned their first doubles win, while Solomon and Lee defeated their Buffalo opponents 8-2.

—Staff writer Jamie Chen can be reached at jamie.chen@thecrimson.com.

CollegeMen's TennisIvy League