The Full-Court Press: Katie Sylvan '13

By Madeleine Smith, Crimson Staff Writer

Last weekend Harvard women’s golf hosted the first-ever Harvard Invitational in Bolton, Mass. Although the Crimson fell to Ivy foe Yale, the team and its young talent showed they could hold their own among the Ancient Eight. Here, sophomore golfer Katie Sylvan gives the inside info on what it’s like to play a sport that seems to sneak under the radar of just about every Harvard sports fan, the positive side of being called a dog, and the universal appeal of hot men with foreign accents. Every week, The Full-Court Press will give you the sort of personal scoop that you’re not likely to hear at a typical press conference.

Name: Katie Sylvan

Year: 2013

Stats: Sylvan established herself as one of the elite West Coast-golfers during her high school career, racking up numerous honors including a spot on 2009’s prestigious Cannon Cup West team. As a freshman at Harvard she was named first-team All-Ivy and was the conference coaches’ unanimous choice for Ivy League Rookie of the Year. In fall play this season, Sylvan has helped her team to favorable finishes in the Penn State Tournament and Harvard Invitational.

1.Typical pre-game meal.

I don't really have a typical meal per se. I just make sure to eat plenty. There's nothing worse than getting hungry on the course. My empty stomach tends to demand the majority of my attention. I have been known (by my team and others) to eat a rather obscene number of apples on the golf course. I believe my record was 8.

2. List four songs you listen to before games to get pumped up.

Sunny Hours-Long Beach Dub All-Stars

Little Secrets-Passion Pit

You've Got the Dirtee Love-Florence + The Machine & Dizzee Rascal

Good Day-Nappy Roots

3. Favorite team to play against and why?

I don't really have a preference of which teams we play. As long as I'm paired with two people who are willing to talk to me, I'm all set.

4. Most ridiculous thing that has taken place in your locker room team van.

What goes on in the van stays in the van (I'm sure you've never gotten that one before).

5. Most embarrassing moment you've had on the court/field/pool/track course, etc.

I may or may not have been running on a golf course. I wasn't exactly paying attention, and ended up running over the high side of a bunker. I did one of those midair cartoon runs before face planting into the sand.

6. Animal that best represents your style of play and why.

I've been told that I remind people of a golden retriever. I'm easy-going, friendly with my competitors, and let the bad stuff roll off my back pretty easily.

7. Most ridiculous thing you have heard a fan yell at a game you were playing in.

Fans?

8. If you could play for another sports team at Harvard, which would it be and why?

Football. I would want to see what it's like to play a sport that people actually watch.

9. Position you would play in Quidditch.

Beater. I could get out all of my pent-up aggression.

10. If you could go on a date with any professional athlete, who would it be and where would you take him/her?

Adam Scott. I don't typically watch golf on TV, but he is beautiful. Have you seen him? He's like the hot golfer reincarnate of Heath Ledger–Australian accent and all. I'm not exactly sure what we would do, but food would definitely be involved.

Women's GolfSports Blog