Lin Locks Up Roster Spot

By Timothy J. Walsh, Crimson Staff Writer

After guard Aaron Miles was released from Golden State this afternoon, the Warriors’ roster was cut down to the league maximum of 15 players. If there was any worry that Jeremy Lin ’10 would not make the team (and there should not have been as Lin has a guaranteed contract), those concerns are now immaterial.

Miles, who was Lin’s primary competition for third-string point guard, actually outplayed Lin for much of the preseason. Playing in all six games, the Kansas-product averaged 3.5 points, 2.2 assists, 1.8 rebounds, and .83 turnovers in 14.0 minutes per game. But Golden State ultimately chose to add size over speed to its roster in retaining former UConn forward Jeff Adrien and dropping Miles.

For his part, Lin has had an up-and-down preseason. In his first game, Lin—a Palo-Alto native—delighted the home crowd by putting up seven points, three boards, and two assists in 11 minutes of action against the Los Angeles Clippers. In his second game, however, the rookie faltered. Warriors coach Keith Smart pulled Lin after just one minute of play in which the former Harvard guard committed three straight turnovers.

Lin played two ineffectual minutes in the next game at Sacramento before recording a DNP at Portland. He rallied somewhat in the next game against the Trail Blazers, contributing five points (all on free-throws), two rebounds, and two assists, but once again turned the ball over twice. Lin did not appear in Golden State’s game last night against Phoenix.

Although Miles’ departure might suggest more playing time for Lin, his preseason performance—3.3 points, 1.3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, and 1.0 turnovers in 6.0 minutes per game—has dictated a gradual acclimation to the NBA. The Warriors have two more preseason games—both against the reigning NBA-champion Lakers—before opening their season next Wednesday at home versus Houston.

Men's Basketball