Weekend Features Home Cornell Slate

A slew of Crimson teams will take on Cornell at home this weekend
By Steven T.A. Roach, Crimson Staff Writer

This weekend, Harvard takes on Cornell in multiple matches at home, giving students and Crimson fans plenty of conference matches to watch.

The football team faces off against Cornell tomorrow at noon, returning home after two games on the road at Brown and Lafayette. Currently, the squad stands at 2-1, with the only loss coming in its sole conference game against Brown. Harvard crushed the Big Red last season, 28-10, and holds an overall series record of 40-32-2.

Also on deck for tomorrow afternoon is the men’s soccer match at Ohiri Field versus Cornell. The team’s overall record is 4-3-3 and the men have won two of their three home games so far this season, the opening game against Stanford and the 1-0 victory last weekend over Yale. The Crimson is 3-0-1 in its last four matches with its conference rival, the last match with the Big Red ending in a 1-1 tie.

Just before the men take the field, the women’s soccer team will have its shot at Cornell. The women are currently 4-4-1 for the season, winning the last two matches against Massachusetts and Yale. They also have a 1-1-0 Ivy record. And, the women’s squad has history on its side: the Crimson has not lost to the Big Red since 1993 and has not lost a home match against Cornell since 1988.

Moving indoors to the Malkin Athletic Center, the women’s volleyball team plays against Cornell in the Crimson-Big Red faceoff weekend. After breaking a seven-game losing steak two weeks ago, the women dropped their second match of the season to Dartmouth. Currently, the squad stands at 3-11 and plays against Columbia tomorrow and Cornell on Sunday evening. Even though the Crimson does not have a great record this year, the women’s squad has defeated the Lions in the last eight matches and captured two matches against the Big Red last season.

While all of these teams are playing at home, the men’s water polo squad gets as far away as possible in the US and travels across the country for five matches. The men face Occidental and Pomona-Pitzer today, Caltech and Claremont tomorrow and UC Santa Barbara on Sunday. The men just defeated MIT, 10-8, last weekend and have the opportunity to go over .500 with these matches during the weekend. The team currently stands at 4-8.

The field hockey team also joins the men in California, taking on Stanford tonight and California on Sunday afternoon. The squad has had a rough season so far and dropped its past two matches against Brown and Bucknell. This will be Harvard’s first time playing on the West Coast.

In other sports events, the women’s tennis team heads to Flushing Meadows, N.Y. for the Billie Jean Invitational taking place tomorrow. Also, the men’s lacrosse team has an exhibition match against the U.S. National Team on Sunday at noon and the women have a match against the US National Team tomorrow night.

Sports Blog