Magic of Numbers: Time for The Game

By Kevin T. Chen, Crimson Staff Writer

Each Thursday, The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

8: Number of wins for Harvard in its last nine meetings with Yale. The Bulldogs still lead the series, 65-53-8.

14: Points scored by the Crimson in the fourth quarter in its 14-10 come-from-behind win over Yale last year.

3: Number of interceptions thrown by junior quarterback Collier Winters in last week’s 34-14 loss to Penn.

0: Number of interceptions thrown by Yale quarterback Patrick Witt in the Bulldogs’ 14-13 win over Princeton last week. Witt–a transfer from Nebraska–leads the Ivy League in passing, with 2018 yards thrown and 252.2 yards per game.

SPLASHES OF CRIMSON

6: Pool records set by the Harvard women’s swimming and diving team last weekend. The Crimson easily defeated Cornell and Dartmouth and will take on Columbia tomorrow looking for its third Ivy win of the season.

2:01.19: Pool record time in the 200 butterfly set by senior Kate Mills in last weekend’s meet.

10:07.19: Pool record time in the 1,000-yard-freestyle set by freshman Paige Newell.

EARLY TESTS

12: Number of wins for the Harvard women’s squash team last season, giving the Crimson its 12th national title. Harvard will begin its quest to defend the title this weekend as it opens it season with challenges from Brown, Williams and Stanford.

7: Returning starters for the Crimson. Last year’s CSA individual national champion, Laura Gemmell, returns for her sophomore season.

Sports BlogMagic of Numbers