Weekend Preview: Men's Basketball Highlights Post-Turkey Slate

Sophomore Christian Webster, shown here in earlier action, looks to help Harvard stay strong in its non-conference slate.
By Steven T.A. Roach, Crimson Staff Writer

After last weekend’s exciting lineup of matches, including the Crimson football team’s win over Yale on Saturday, there is much less action for Harvard fans this weekend. Only four squads compete in six matchups over the Thanksgiving weekend.

First up is the men’s basketball team against Colorado at home on Sunday at 1 p.m. The men are currently on a three-game winning streak and look to extend this success against the Buffaloes. Though the Crimson has a 3-1 record for the season, the past two matches have been close wins, including a 69-66 victory at Bryant on Wednesday, when sophomore Christian Webster scored the game-winning three with just 23 seconds left. Harvard will have to step up its play to pull out a win in front of its home crowd: Colorado has been triumphant in the only two meetings the squads have had, including a 70-57 victory last year, and the Crimson has never beaten a Big 12 team.

The women’s basketball team travels to Holy Cross also on Sunday at 1 p.m. for the squad’s fifth match of the season. The women have an identical record to the men and won their last match at Boston University. Chances look good for the women to pull off their fourth victory of the season. For the past three seasons, the team has dominated Holy Cross, winning each contest by at least 16 points.

For the men’s hockey squad, it’s proven to be a rougher start, especially recently. The men are currently on a three-game losing streak, dropping their record to 2-4 overall. The team tries to turn the season around in home-and-home series with Dartmouth at home tonight at 7 p.m. and again tomorrow night at the same time in Hanover, N.H. The Big Green is on a roll this season, only losing once in the past five games, but Harvard has history on its side. The Crimson has a 6-1-1 record in the last eight meetings.

Finally, the No. 9 women’s hockey team travels to No. 7 Minnesota, playing tonight at 7 p.m. and again on Sunday at 2 p.m. The women have been having a relatively successful season, going 4-2-2 so far, including two wins against then-No. 9 Dartmouth last weekend. The Crimson and the Gophers have met in some big matches, but Harvard got the best of them at Bright Hockey Center, holding Minnesota scoreless in a two-game set, 1-0 and 0-0.

We’re probably all stuffed from the Thanksgiving feasts and leftovers we’ve had, but it’s a great time to check out a home basketball match and root for Harvard at away matches before the end of the year.

Sports Blog