Magic of Numbers: Getting Ready for Winter(s)

By Kevin T. Chen, Crimson Staff Writer

Each Thursday, The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

1: Number of starts by junior quarterback Collier Winters this season, which came in last week’s 30-14 shellacking of Dartmouth.

212: Yards thrown by Winters in the win over the Big Green.

-18: Yards rushing allowed by Harvard’s defense against Columbia last year. The stout run defense–led by tackles Josue Ortiz and Chuks Obi–will look to again stuff the Lions’ running attack this Saturday at home.

53: Wins against Columbia all-time for Harvard. The Lions have mustered only 14 wins against the Crimson.

TIME FOR SOME SQUASH

5: Final national ranking for the Harvard men’s squash team at the College Squash Association (CSA) National Team Championship last season.

5: Current ranking for the Crimson in the CSA preseason men’s team rankings.

224: Consecutive matches Trinity College has won. The Bantams will begin the season as the No. 1 men’s squash team in the country.

EARLY TESTS

2: Number of games the Harvard women’s hockey team will play this weekend. The Crimson visits second-ranked Cornell tomorrow and travels to Colgate on Saturday.

4: Goals scored by Harvard in last week’s win over Brown. The goals were scored by four different players, leading to a balanced attack that gave the Crimson its first win of the season.

Sports BlogMagic of Numbers