ESPN's Katz To Speak in Winthrop

By Timothy J. Walsh, Crimson Staff Writer

When ESPN college basketball reporter Andy Katz came to Lavietes Pavilion in February to watch Harvard take on Cornell, he was serenaded with adoring chants, and he humored the crowd with a wave.

It was a strange moment of celebrity—the reporter’s role inverted from watching to being watched—that typifies Harvard’s place in the larger landscape of college sports. Here, it feels oddly validating when the mainstream media pays notice to Harvard athletics, as if the attention legitimizes the quality of play on campus.

Tonight, students will have a chance to interact with Katz once again, albeit in a more formal setting, when he shares his thoughts and stories at 7:30 p.m. in the Owen Room inside Winthrop G Entry.

The event, which is hosted by the Harvard Sports Analysis Collective provides an opportunity to learn from one of college basketball’s most recognizable voices. For over 10 years, Katz has been with ESPN, where he blogs, writes, and reports regularly on the biggest stories in college hoops.

Take the chance after dinner to pick Katz’s brain on Ivy basketball, NCAA tournament expansion, journalism, and other topics in Winthrop.

Men's BasketballSports Blog